Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alokthakkar

Drilldown Choropleth - State to Zip (or City)

Hi,

I have 2 questions.

1. I downloaded the below 2 Json files and tried to host locally and map it. But it is not working. How, can I host thee Json file for City & County and use it.

https://uat.gramener.com/static/c3/US_adm2.json

https://uat.gramener.com/static/c3/US_adm1.json

2. I want to provide further drill down to City and zip code. Where can I file Json file for the same. It limit the ability to a great visual created. It would be great help If I get quick answer on the same.

Thanks,

Alok

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @alokthakkar,

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to use the M query below to import USA_adm2 json with Power BI Desktop(Get Data > Blank Query > Enter the Query). Smiley Happy

let
    Source = Json.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\username\Desktop\US_adm2.json")),
    objects = Source[objects],
    USA_adm2 = objects[USA_adm2],
    geometries = USA_adm2[geometries],
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(geometries, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Custom", each [Column1][properties]),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"ID_0", "ISO", "NAME_0", "ID_1", "NAME_1", "ID_2", "NAME_2", "NL_NAME_2", "VARNAME_2", "TYPE_2", "ENGTYPE_2"}, {"Custom.ID_0", "Custom.ISO", "Custom.NAME_0", "Custom.ID_1", "Custom.NAME_1", "Custom.ID_2", "Custom.NAME_2", "Custom.NL_NAME_2", "Custom.VARNAME_2", "Custom.TYPE_2", "Custom.ENGTYPE_2"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Column1"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I am new to Power BI and learning. 🙂  I followed the steps below and getting error. Not sure if I am missing some step here. The only point I can load the table (not sure what will I do with that table) when I use below syntax. . It would be great help if you could guide further in the same.

Working 

= Json.Document(File.Contents("C:\AlokThakkar\US_adm2.json"))

Error # 1

DataFormat.Error: We found extra characters at the end of JSON input. Details:     Value=     Position=0

Also, How do I use the City and zip from US_adm2.json. I believe your answer is for my first question only.

Thanks in advance for your guidance. Appreciate it.

Thanks,

Alok

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.