Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Drilldown Choropleth - State to Zip (or City)

Is there a way to start the Drilldown Choropleth at the state level (without all of the US shown and with an Oklahoma JSON file dividing by County) and have it drill down to either a zip code JSON or city map? Also, I cannot seem to find file links that are pastable into the shape level area? Thoughts?

9 REPLIES 9
bbbbi01
Helper II
Helper II

Seems no one found the solution. Also toggling between two layers when zoomed out. In my case it is states as level 1 and countis as level 2. When click the state, it shows counties within, but I couldn't see the data and the county name. Do any of you know how to not get a blank when zooming in on a specific state? 

alokthakkar

Hi,

I have 2 questions.

1. I downloaded the below 2 Json files and tried to host locally and map it. But it is not working. How, can I host thee Json file for City & County and use it.

https://uat.gramener.com/static/c3/US_adm2.json

https://uat.gramener.com/static/c3/US_adm1.json

2. I want to provide further drill down to City and zip code. Where can I file Json file for the same. It limit the ability to a great visual created. It would be great help If I get quick answer on the same.

Thanks,

Alok

Anonymous
Not applicable

Development - To use the drilldown choropleth you can: download a TopoJson file from state or national archives, upload it to mapshaper.org, export it and upload it to a GitHub registry. (It is free to create a public account) Once you do that, you can view as raw data and copy the url and paste into Power BI. This got the actual zip code map to work for me. I am currently having problems with the drilldown function. I want to have County and Zip (or maybe Municipality). Then when I click on a county, it will zoom in and display all zip codes within that county. Currently, I can only toggle between the County and Zip Code maps when they are zoomed out. I really want to be able to view individual counties and the Zip Codes within them, but for some reason when I turn on drill down and select a county, it zooms in and is blank. If I figure it out I will post.

I would be really grateful if somebody has a solution to this problem!!!

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I'm stuck with the same problem that is mentioned here; only being able to toggle between the two layers when zoomed out. In my case it is counties as level 1 and municipalities as level 2. Do any of you know how to not get a blank when zooming in on a specific county? 

I know you can't have location names in the dataset that doesn't exist in the topojson file. But is it required that the dataset contains every location written in the topojson file or something? Would really appreciate any help here.

Hi. I have the same problem, when enlarging the map it appears blank. Did you manage to fix it?

Thanks.

getting the same issue. do you have any solution for this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I still have not managed to fix it!

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

You mean that you have are using Drilldown Choropleth cusom visual in Power BI and need to drill down to zip code or city, right? I have download a zip code JSON or city sample report and it seems you need to add city name to your dataset, so that you can dirll down into that level.

Capture.PNG

Since this is custom visual, you can add you comment on the link below if you have any concer on this visual.
https://store.office.com/en-001/app.aspx?assetid=WA104381044&ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US&appredirect=false#0-0-0

Regards,

Charlei Liao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-caliao-msft,

Do you have the zip code json, or the link that I can use for the drilldown?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.