Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Drillable matrix interaction with line chart

I have a dashboard made up of two visuals (and several slicers):

1) A matrix table listing customers and their information in drillable rows (ID, name, location, segment, etc.). The columns consist of one or more products that can be selected in a slicer and two measures for each selected product: sales and share for the most recent rolling 12-month period (Moving Annual Total or MAT); and

2) A line chart showing average sales per customer and product over 8 consecutive quarters (the x-axis is the quarter ending date; y-axis is average sales and the legend is product(s)

Source data sales & share figures are provided for a rolling 24 month period in monthly (n=24), quarterly (n=8) and MAT (n=2) time period aggregations. The data is projected differently for each time period type such that completely different numbers would result from summing sales figures for the most recent 12 inidividual months or 4 inidivudal quarters versus the equivalent MAT value.  Therefore, I applied a visual level filter on the matrix table for the MAT time period aggregation ending on the most recent month.  At the same time, I applied a visual level filter on the line chart to include only the quarterly time period aggregation (all 8 quarters).

I want to be able to select an individual customer, either in the matrix table or associated slicer, and see the quarterly line chart update to reflect their sales.  It works just fine if I select a customer(s) from the slicer but the line chart goes blank if I select a customer from the matrix table.  I'm fairly certain this has to do with the visual level filters I've applied but not sure how to get around it.

Thanks in advance for helping resolve this.

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It's quite hard to find the point only with current information. You may take a look at visuals interact in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-reports-visual-interactions 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-interactions 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

are you able to share some data, or give a data structure, do you have multiple tables? What are the relationships? can you screenshot what your filters are and share some of your data. It really helps if you provide examples visually.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you add some screesnhots here on how the selection is chnaging your line chart?

I think I understand the issue, but just to confirm my understanding.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

See below.  First screen capture is without selecting a customer name.  Second one is if the name is selected in the matrix table.  Third one is if the customer name is selected in the slicer.  The upper table has a visual filter applied for only the current MAT time period while the line chart has a visual filter applied for only the quarterly time period.

No customer selectedNo customer selectedCustomer selected in matrix tableCustomer selected in matrix tableScreen capture 3.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors