Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Drill through on Date not working

I have a detail report.

In it is the date field (Not a hierarchy so you can just see it as a date. In Drill through I have dragged in Date and its Used as category

I go back up to my main report. In it is a bar chart. Date on the Axis, I click on a bar and expect Drill through but I cant see it? Is there an issue trying to do drill through with a date?

The only thing I can think of is the fact its a hierarchy in the bar chart, but a date in the detail report. 

I know my customer really wants drill through available on Date

Any help would be really appreciated

Debbie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

found a  possible solution

https://www.skylinetechnologies.com/Blog/Skyline-Blog/January_2018/power-bi-drillthrough-built-in-da...

There is a preview feature to see the inbuilt hierarchy and you can now use this

However its still now working. I create a detail report and drag year month and day from the built in hierarchy

Then I create a bar chart.  Axis I drag in year month and day and add a metric. Click on it and drill through is still not showing. I really thought I had this soved this time. 

Extra testing. Onea brand new visual added just year to the detail and it works. Then Added Month and it works. It all seems ok now looking at the old visuals.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DebbieE,

Based on my test, the date format added to drill through on detailed report have to be the same as that added to the visual on main report. That is to say, since you add date hierarchy in the bar chart, you have to add date hierarchy to drill drillthrough too.

Please add "Year", "Quarter", "Month", "Day" under hierarchy into drillthrough one by one.

1.PNG

Users can still drill through on Date level. When they click a date value on main report, the date value will be passed to detailed report.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

The problem is Im using the inbuilt date hierarchy so you dont get the expand on this like you do yours. I imagine you have created your own. But doesnt that override the inbuilt date time hierarchy?

Also I have a lot of visualisations that I would then need to change just for the drill through opton

Surely you should be able to use the inbuilt date time hierarchy to drill through on?

Debbie

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

found a  possible solution

https://www.skylinetechnologies.com/Blog/Skyline-Blog/January_2018/power-bi-drillthrough-built-in-da...

There is a preview feature to see the inbuilt hierarchy and you can now use this

However its still now working. I create a detail report and drag year month and day from the built in hierarchy

Then I create a bar chart.  Axis I drag in year month and day and add a metric. Click on it and drill through is still not showing. I really thought I had this soved this time. 

Extra testing. Onea brand new visual added just year to the detail and it works. Then Added Month and it works. It all seems ok now looking at the old visuals.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.