Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Drill through by different columns

Hi 

Is it possible to drillthrough on mutliple columns in a table to obtain different results?

I need to see the invoices that make the $$. When I drillthough on any column, I get all the invoices, but I only want to see the filtered list.

For example: Considering Vendor ABC:

When I drill on Total Invoice Count - I want to see all 4 invoices. But when I drill on 60 Days, I only want to see the 3 invoices.

Currently, I can click on any cell, and I see all 4 invoices.

VendorTotal Invoice CountTotal AmountInvoice count - Due in next 30 Days30 DaysInvoice count - Due in next 60 Days60 Days
ABC4$301$103$20
DEF3$401$152$25
GHI2$202$200$0

Best

Seema

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

We can use following workaround to meet your requirement:

1. create a column header table by following calculated column formula (column name is sorted by the sort column)  :

ColumnHeader = DATATABLE("ColumnName",STRING,"Sort",INTEGER,
{{"Total Invoice Count",1},
{"Total Amount",2},
{"Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days",3},
{"Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days",4},
{"Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days",5},
{"Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days",6}}
)

2. create a measure and use it as value field of matrix visual, put the column name in column field of matrix.

Measure:

Matrix Value = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('ColumnHeader'[ColumnName],BLANK()),"Total Invoice Count",[Total Invoice Count] & "",
"Total Amount",[Total Amount] & "",
"Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days",[Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days] & "",
"Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days",FORMAT([Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days],"Currency"),
"Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days",[Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days] & "",
"Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days",FORMAT([Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days],"Currency")
,BLANK())

our sub measures are following, you can use your own measures:

Total Invoice Count = DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Invoice ID])

Total Amount = SUM('Table'[Invoice Amount])

Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Invoice ID]),FILTER('Table',DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)<=30))

Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Invoice Amount]),FILTER('Table',DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)<=30))

Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Invoice ID]),FILTER('Table',DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)<=60 && DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)>30))+0

Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Invoice Amount]),FILTER('Table',DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)<=60 && DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)>30))+0

3. create a measure and put into the visual filter of visual in drill-through page, set condition "is 1",

Measure:

Visual Control = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(ColumnHeader[ColumnName],BLANK()),"Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days",IF([Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days]>0,1,-1),"Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days",IF([Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days]>0,1,-1),1)

4. put the vender column and Column Name column into drill-through field of page

9.jpg10.jpg

By the way, PBIX file as attached.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any workarounds or any other way to filter the data?

TIA!

If you have just a few columns, I would try several drillthrough buttons and show details on separate screen:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-drill-through-buttons

Another idea is to use custom tooltip page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, @alena2k 

For now I simply added an additional filter on the grouping (30/60/90). I select the row I want and then 30/60/90/All and drill-through. It's not elegant but works right.

I do already have a Tooltip, but it only has all invoices by vendor, how would I make it so it updates for the 30/60/90 amounts? 

If you use a table on your tool tip page, you can show list of invoices with numbers, dates and totals. Both list and total will automatically adjust to the SELECTED in matrix cell. 

This approach has limitation:  it works nicely if you have sort list of values to show.

Hi @Anonymous ,

We can use following workaround to meet your requirement:

1. create a column header table by following calculated column formula (column name is sorted by the sort column)  :

ColumnHeader = DATATABLE("ColumnName",STRING,"Sort",INTEGER,
{{"Total Invoice Count",1},
{"Total Amount",2},
{"Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days",3},
{"Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days",4},
{"Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days",5},
{"Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days",6}}
)

2. create a measure and use it as value field of matrix visual, put the column name in column field of matrix.

Measure:

Matrix Value = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('ColumnHeader'[ColumnName],BLANK()),"Total Invoice Count",[Total Invoice Count] & "",
"Total Amount",[Total Amount] & "",
"Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days",[Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days] & "",
"Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days",FORMAT([Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days],"Currency"),
"Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days",[Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days] & "",
"Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days",FORMAT([Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days],"Currency")
,BLANK())

our sub measures are following, you can use your own measures:

Total Invoice Count = DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Invoice ID])

Total Amount = SUM('Table'[Invoice Amount])

Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Invoice ID]),FILTER('Table',DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)<=30))

Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Invoice Amount]),FILTER('Table',DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)<=30))

Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Invoice ID]),FILTER('Table',DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)<=60 && DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)>30))+0

Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Invoice Amount]),FILTER('Table',DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)<=60 && DATEDIFF(TODAY(),'Table'[Due Date],DAY)>30))+0

3. create a measure and put into the visual filter of visual in drill-through page, set condition "is 1",

Measure:

Visual Control = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(ColumnHeader[ColumnName],BLANK()),"Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days",IF([Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days]>0,1,-1),"Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days",IF([Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days]>0,1,-1),1)

4. put the vender column and Column Name column into drill-through field of page

9.jpg10.jpg

By the way, PBIX file as attached.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the solution, Dong Li.

It worked; but I'm still facing issues due to "version incompatibility".

The very first step, I'm still not able to sort the columns as the "calculated column formula (column name is sorted by the sort column)" still isn't sorting. I'm not allowed to download the latest version, but enterprise reqs, could you please advice?

Thanks.

@v-lid-msft  

@v-lid-msft 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please share what is the version of your Power BI Desktop? Does the "Sort By Column" button exist in that version?

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, it does .. my final issue is with formatting. 

I realized your version has the same problem - the Total Amount and Total Count fields can't be formatted for some reason! ($ sign and Comma can't be added). All the other columns are formated correctly!

Thanks again!

Hi @Anonymous ,

The total amount and total count can be formatted in the Matrix Value,

Matrix Value =
SWITCH (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'ColumnHeader'[ColumnName], BLANK () ),
    "Total Invoice Count", [Total Invoice Count] & "",
    "Total Amount", [Total Amount] & "",
    "Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days", [Invoice count - Due in next 30 Days] & "",
    "Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days", FORMAT ( [Invoice Amount - Due in next 30 Days], "Currency" ),
    "Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days", [Invoice count - Due in next 60 Days] & "",
    "Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days", FORMAT ( [Invoice Amount - Due in next 60 Days], "Currency" ),
    BLANK ()
)

If  you want to format Total Amount as Currentcy, change [Total Amount] & "" to  FORMAT ( [Total Amount], "Currency" )

If you want to add cummon, format as "Standard", please refer to following documnet about Format function:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/pre-defined-numeric-formats-for-the-format-function

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/custom-numeric-formats-for-the-format-function

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, it worked!  FORMAT ([Field],"#,###")

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , As the measure has a filter, that can not be passed. It will only vendor. So seem like not a possible option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.