Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsbin
Super User
Super User

Drill through Button and Navigation

Good Afternoon All,

First, kudoes to @aj1973 for suggesting the new Drill through Button feature.  However, I am encountering an issue others have had, but have not yet been able to find a solution.

From my Main Page, I can drill through to Detail 1. No issues here.  This page has Employee detail.  The selected employee is visible in a card so I know the selected value is there.  

Issue2.png

From Detail 1, I want the User to navigate to Detail 2 for the same Employee.  Here, I have created another button.  I have created relevant measures per the instructional videos to add to the conditional formatting of the drill through actions, but they are not available to be selected.  They are greyed out.  I have tested these measures in additional card visuals so I know they are working.  They display both the Employee and Detail 2 page correctly.  But the Button remains in a Disabled State.

As another test, I added a simple bar chart visual.  It shows the data point for John Doe.  It is only when I click on this data point within this unwanted visual that the Drill Through Button becomes Enabled.  So somehow I need to Enable the button with another User click. 

Wondering if anybody has another workaround or hack to get around this issue of unavoidable charts and clicks. 

Appreciate any further insights or advice.

Kindest Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Live Connection! I knew there was some tricky part. Live connection and Direct query have limitations when it comes to Measures and feature. Check it out on Microsoft.

The best way to inform the user is to add Captions or Titles to Your buttons.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @rsbin 

Thank you for the Kudoes.

Can you please create a dummy pibx and share it so i can take a look at it? 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hello @aj1973 ,

I will do what I can to create a dummy pbix.  This will take me some time as I am currently using a Live Connection.  I will have to recreate a new model with fictitious names and data.  In the meantime what I can share is the following:   The image below is a drill through button with a shrunken tree map visual - one employee, one data point.  Button is Disabled.

rsbin_2-1610495102004.png

Upon clicking the black square (tree map visual), the button is now enabled.

rsbin_1-1610494808147.png

And then I can drill through to Detail 2.  This is the best I can come up with thus far.  The remaining trick is how best to inform a User they need to click the square first to engage the next arrow button.  

The only thing I can think of right now is the Live Connection is preventing me from using Measures in the conditional format boxes.

Appreciate the time you are taking with me.  Will try to upload something on Wednesday.

Kind Regards,

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Live Connection! I knew there was some tricky part. Live connection and Direct query have limitations when it comes to Measures and feature. Check it out on Microsoft.

The best way to inform the user is to add Captions or Titles to Your buttons.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.