Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Promethes_2
Helper II
Helper II

Drill down on line and clustered column chart renders off center bars?

When I drill down from Year to Quarter on a line and clustered column chart, the bars are off center from the x axis.  Does anyone know why or how to fix this other than turning the X axis labeling off?

Starting at Year:

1.png

And then drill down into a quarter:

2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I suppose I'm unsure as to why you wish to drill down into quarters when you have the quarters already split out as clustered columns? It doesn't like when you use the same field for both an axis and a column series, if you duplicate the quarter column in a new column like Quarter2 = 'Calendar'[Quarter], and use that for the column series, it seems to work for bringing back in the total sales line. 

Only real solution i can think of would be to use a stacked column line chart rather than a clustered one. 

so instead of 

clustered.PNG

and

clustered drill.PNG

it's

stacked.PNG

and

stacked drill.PNG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AECourtney
Regular Visitor

Try making the X axis categorical rather than continuous

The X Axis is categorical:

1.png2.png

And if I change to continuous it's no different:

3.png4.png

It seems to be giving space for the other three bars on each one, even though there isn't anything that is showing up. Likely because you have the data split into the 4 quarters on the top level and it's bringing it down to the lower level. If you removed the legend spliting the years into quarters and then drilled down, does it still do it? 

My goal is to show Sales Per Year (split by quarter)  and then drill down into Sales Per Quarter.  Apparently I must be not understanding something correctly because I am not able to use Year/Quarter in the shared axis as well as the column series.  In this example the Line value does not display if I use Year/Quarter and then Quarter in the column series.

2016-11-16 12_06_31-GPM - Power BI Desktop.png

Additionally when I drill down on a specific year with this setup, then it seems to have lost context of the year as the line value appears but as dots for all years even though the Total Sales Per Year should filter to only the current context - CALCULATE(SUM('Sales'[Amount]),ALLEXCEPT('Calendar','Calendar'[Year]))1.png

I suppose I'm unsure as to why you wish to drill down into quarters when you have the quarters already split out as clustered columns? It doesn't like when you use the same field for both an axis and a column series, if you duplicate the quarter column in a new column like Quarter2 = 'Calendar'[Quarter], and use that for the column series, it seems to work for bringing back in the total sales line. 

Only real solution i can think of would be to use a stacked column line chart rather than a clustered one. 

so instead of 

clustered.PNG

and

clustered drill.PNG

it's

stacked.PNG

and

stacked drill.PNG

I appreciate your thoughts!  I had done a stacked chart and it works but in my opinion the clustered should operate the same way. The reason I want to drill down is so that I can change context into that year on the chart rather than having to use a slicer.  This then allows me to export the specific year data rather than all years data. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.