Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vvanasperen
Advocate I
Advocate I

Drill down on groups and details in combination with a timeline

Hi there,

I'm quite a newbie, but really love the possibilities that Power BI can provide. Still, now that I'm "goofing around" with some fictive data, I encounter a problem.

I've added the fictive Excel data. Now I want to show a timeline in months and display for each month the number of cars and furniture. So far so good. But instead of drilling down into the timeline, I want to drill down into the product details. I can show either the timeline (and drill down in time) or the product groups (and drill down in details). But what I want to accomplish is to drill down on a product groups and show the details but also preserve a timeline for the drill down month I'm selecting. Is this a strange thing to want to do? Is there a better way? I would really like to learn and know. Thanks a lot.

Example data and output

Kind regards,

Vincent 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's my fault; I thought it used to be there but this product changes so rapidly...

I would add a slicer below on details at the bottom in that case (like the year slicer); this way you can cut the data at the product level by the product detail. This would let you keep the months at the bottom and still cut the data by the details. I think you are trying to do a lot with one graph and it might be better to seperate it out.

I updated the file with some other options.

Teal

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TealCanady
Advocate II
Advocate II

Vincent,

I see what you are trying to do (I think). I think perhaps this is just a misunderstaning; if you put Product and then Product_Detail in Power BI for you values and then drill into any month; that data you drilled into represents only January's data for Product Details. 
It does change the axis values (you lose january at the bottom) but it pulls it in to the grey text at the top of the slide so you can tell what month your looking at.

The only way i think to get what you demo'ed in your excel file (assuming you want it in PBI) is two seperate charts. But maybe the attached is what you meant.

Teal 

@TealCanady: Thanks. What happens (also in your example file) is that when I drill down in month januari on product group furniture, I loose the month I'm drilling down into (januari) and I'm also getting the values Dodge and Opel, even though I only want to show the furniture details for januari. Just that you know I've read your comment, but I don't see a grey text at the top of the slide. This is what I see when drill down to details in your example. I've looked everywhere, but don't see any (grey) month value displayed. Please advise.

Vincent

That's my fault; I thought it used to be there but this product changes so rapidly...

I would add a slicer below on details at the bottom in that case (like the year slicer); this way you can cut the data at the product level by the product detail. This would let you keep the months at the bottom and still cut the data by the details. I think you are trying to do a lot with one graph and it might be better to seperate it out.

I updated the file with some other options.

Teal

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can only drill down on axis labels in Power BI.

@greggyb: Thanks. Any tips or tricks how I can get closest to what I want? I've tried adding filters, but then again I hit a wall because I think it's not possible to combine groups and details in one filter. Am I right?

Closest I could get was:

Axis:

Month

product_detail

Legend:

product

Value:

amount

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler: Thanks. Will try that now and see where it brings me. 🙂

@Greg_Deckler: Looks great for the product groups part, but on the last drill down (to the product details) I loose the timeline dimension and all details are displayed. But if I understand correctly, that's something that won't work at this time?

If you want to see the months combined with Product and then drill down to details but keep the months? No to my knowledge that is not possible; although you could use a slicer on product and keep it at the detail level I suppose. I think they will have to be seperate charts.

Teal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.