Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gbat

Drill down column names

Hi 

I am fairly new to Power BI so please forgive what may be a fairly basic question.  I have 4 visualisations on a page which are showing various facts about a workflow system we have and where workflows are in the process.   Our company hierarchy is

Business Unit (e.g. Property)

Division (eg. Corporate)

Team (eg. US)

Handler. (eg. GBAT)

On one of the visualisations when drill down from Business Unit (Property), the report column name then just shows the division 'Corporate' and then when I drill down from there it goes to 'US' and so on.

However on another visual I have I don't lose the parent I drilled down from so I get columns names:

Property <drill down to> 

Property Corporate <drill down to>

Property Corporate US <drill down to>

Property Corporate US GBAT

In reality our unit names are much longer so by the time you have drilled down 3 levels all the user can effectively see is the first two levels.

Can anyone advise how to lose the repeating prefixes from the parent drill down?

Many thanks 

GBAT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi again

I have managed to resolve the issue by recreating the visualization from scratch. So not quite sure what i did wrong.

Anyway thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Use the double arrow drill down, not the branched double arrow drill down. Might depend on the visualizations. Which visualizations are you using and on which one are you getting the behavior?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi there....I have been having a similar issue however re-creating the visual did not solve the problem for me. One additional 'interesting' element to our problem is it only presents as an issue after we've used the chiclet slicer to filter the bar graph. Prior to this the drill through column names don't show.

Anyone else seen this issue?

Hi fish3101

Whilst I still don't know what caused it I have got round it (but I can't remember which way round) by removing and then re-adding all the data elements (Axis, data, etc.) from either too element down or bottom element up.

I am currenlty have this issue, is there no way to get rid of these parent names?

Hi smoupre,

Thanks for the response - both my visualizations are Clustured column charts (the one going wrong has Legends; the other doesn't) I have tried to insert a screenshot but that did not work.

Unfortunately I'm not quite sure what you mean by double arrow or branched double arrow - is that smoething on the right click menu?

Hi again

I have managed to resolve the issue by recreating the visualization from scratch. So not quite sure what i did wrong.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors