Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

fchukoskie
Advocate I
Advocate I

Drill down and filter

In a Power BI desktop stacked bar chart, I'd like to drill-down by clicking to see which 2nd-level items (Subjects) make up the 94 replies in a survey. However, that double-click renders the entire chart at the subject level...showing all replies, instead of just the 94 that I'm interested in.

Is this sort of drill-and-filter clicking possible, or do I have to drill first, and then apply a filter to the right of the chart?

DrillAndFilter.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If that is how it is working for you, it sounds like it is broken or a bug. Drilling down should actually be a drill down. I'll have to see if I can replicate your issue, I do not usually use stacked charts. I have had success with non-stacked charts having drilldown work properly. Are you on the latest release (January) of Desktop?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If that is how it is working for you, it sounds like it is broken or a bug. Drilling down should actually be a drill down. I'll have to see if I can replicate your issue, I do not usually use stacked charts. I have had success with non-stacked charts having drilldown work properly. Are you on the latest release (January) of Desktop?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes on the release question. Version: 2.31.4280.361 64-bit (January, 2016)

Thanks for fact-checking me. I'm new enough to the tool that I don't yet have a sense for what's a bug and what's self-inflicted.

-Frank

Drill down only works on the axis labels. So when you click on the bar that you're hovering over in the screenshot, you should expect to see all [Subject]s that are associated with a [Rating] = 1.

I think you're expecting to see either all [Rating] = 1 for [Answer] = "It's not helping me", or to see all [Subject]s with [Answer] = "It's not helping me". Is one of these the expectation?

I'd expect to see the breakdown by Subject where Rating = 1 and Answer = 'It's not helping me'.

That's currently not supported behavior. You'd have to take two steps:

1. Drill down on [Rating] = 1
  2. Apply filter to [Answer] = "It's not helping me"

I know of no way to combine those into a single step in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.