Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Quentin
Helper III
Helper III

Drill Through among different pages

Hello Hello Community!

I am struggling with the Drill-Through experience...
I want to drill through a main page MAP (with countries) and that drilling into a country i takes me to differents pages related with navigation experience.

Main page MAP, then after selecting a country 3 pages filtered by the selected country and i move among these pages with navigation botton

Duplicating the pages doesn't work, using markdown would be an option but very heavy to develop...

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Quentin 

I think I fully understand your needs, and I have also made some attempts. You want to navigate to other pages without using the drill through field but still save the filtering effect. This is really difficult to do, because powerbi currently doesn't have a good support for dynamic interaction between different pages.

If you don’t mind, I have a workaround here. 

1.Don't need to use drillthrough, but you need to  select a country on the first page, and then click the button to jump to other pages. 

2. You need to set up a synchronous slicer, and then only keep one slicer on the first page, and hide the others. In this way, you only need to make one more choice in the first step, and the data on other pages will have a filtering effect.

Like this:

v-janeyg-msft_0-1621320145862.png

Reference:Sync and use slicers on other pages

If you still need help, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Quentin 

Drill through can be done in two ways, buttons and fields. They can be used flexibly, but you need to set the target page yourself.

Here are some tutorials for your reference:

Set up drillthrough in Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Drillthrough Tutorial | Step by Step Guide with Examples (wallstreetmojo.com)

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

THe problem i have is to make a drillthrough with multiple target pages...

Hi, @Quentin 

I think this is not a conflict, you need to set up multiple drillthrough pages separately. Where did you have the problem?

Best Regards

Janey Guo

hello hello,

Well i can have multiple drill-through page, from the map page i select a country and go to pageA or pageB, pero no puedo pasar de PageA a PageB sin volver por el mapa y usar el Drill-through boton...

Hi, @Quentin 

Generally speaking, as long as there is a connection between the fields, drillthrough can be performed.

I made a simple example:

1.gif

If the page returned after multiple drillthrough operations is incorrect, you can manually modify it in the 'Action' of the button.

v-janeyg-msft_0-1620960195647.png

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Thank you very much for being so responsive and helping me. I am aware i struggle me make myself clear on that subject, due to my lack of knowledge obviously.

However i am not sure your answer totally fits the need. Anyway congrats for showing the exemple like this.

What i was looking for is not the create a cascade of drillthrough: page1 drillthrough to page2 and page 2 drillthrough to page 3.
What i was looking for is page1 drillthrough to page 2. And in page2 there are several butons that allows to navigate to diferent pages whithout the user having to click on data to drillthrough again.

In the map page, a user select a country: Yemen, then goes to page2 with main information for Yemen. But there, instead of drillthrough Yemen a second time, which is counter intuitive, he can navigate into different pages filtered by yemen with different shapes and information. They stay filtered by the drillthrough of page1 even if they are different pages

Using your example i want the user to select a value of column2 in first page, drillthrough (with the button as right click isn't used by end user) to page 2.
in page 2 i want to navigate to page 3 without drilling through data, but that it stays drilled by the choice made in page1.

I hope it's clear...
As i said, i solved it with bookmark but it tends to be dificult for user to recieve a pbi with bookmark ana manage to enrich it..

Hi, @Quentin 

I think I fully understand your needs, and I have also made some attempts. You want to navigate to other pages without using the drill through field but still save the filtering effect. This is really difficult to do, because powerbi currently doesn't have a good support for dynamic interaction between different pages.

If you don’t mind, I have a workaround here. 

1.Don't need to use drillthrough, but you need to  select a country on the first page, and then click the button to jump to other pages. 

2. You need to set up a synchronous slicer, and then only keep one slicer on the first page, and hide the others. In this way, you only need to make one more choice in the first step, and the data on other pages will have a filtering effect.

Like this:

v-janeyg-msft_0-1621320145862.png

Reference:Sync and use slicers on other pages

If you still need help, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Of course!!

You are right this is obviously better than drill through and bookmark! 
Thank you for this easy and efficient workaround!

However, this only work with a slicer visual right?
One cannot select a country in a map, to filter the other page with a synchronuous filter

Quentin
Helper III
Helper III

I did it with Bookmark:
I create the page i want to navigate to, group everything including a white layer beyond into a group and copy paste the group in the first Drilled-Through Page so that the page filter stay the same

It is not the solution i was looking for but work... is it possible though to do what i wanted?

Thanks

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Quentin , The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example?

Appreciate your Kudos.

Sorry that i didn't manage to make it clear, and thank your for answering

I have a main page with a map:

Quentin_0-1620222182269.png

i want the user to select the country he wants to drill through and this take him to a page that has been filtered by the country:

Quentin_1-1620222376731.png

But this page called "Country-Detail" just have a sumary of the data, i want the user to be able to open other pages that deploy more information about one part of the indicator.
I was using the navigation botton to open a new page, for example the first box "i" botton at the nivel of the "Country-Profile" Indicator:

Quentin_2-1620222489620.png

As you can see the country stay the same than when i duplicated the drill page.
Filtering by a country in the map, filter the Country Detail page, but do not filter the pages that provide more information...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.