cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S-Driancourt Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Draw your custom shape maps by yourself!

Hi everyone!

I would like to share with you a tool I created. I think it will be interesting for you if:

1. You want to display your data on a custom shape map
  2. You cannot find the map you need in the required json format

I personally was confronted to this issue a few month ago: the company I was working for had a customized way of splitting their country. Of course they had no shapes for these country in any format, they just had a picture of their territories.

This is why I created ByMapSelf (in WPF). With it you can:

• Draw your maps with free hand point by point or in continuous drawing
  • Use the borders of the shapes you have already created so that there are no ugly spaces between bricks
  • Add polygons to an existing shape if you need to created island, or a duplicated zoomed part in your map
  • Add holes to shapes if you need to add a lake, or if your shape looks like a donut
  • Load pictures as background to help you draw the shapes (I personally have less drawing skills than my 5 years old son)
  • Load backgrounds directly from the integrated web browser, and you your favorite map provider (Bing maps Smiley Wink)
  • Save your work in a dedicated file format
  • Export your shapes as a json file for Power BI custom shape map
  • Export your shapes in a sql file, in case you would need them in SSRS

ByMapSelf is free for the community. I enjoyed developing it and will be very proud if it can help analysts around the world.

Please read the article I wrote on the subject. You can download the tool from here. You won't need to create an account or leave an email.

article_linkedIn.jpgByMapSelf screenshotPower BI example.pngPower BI ewample

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
v-ljerr-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Draw your custom shape maps by yourself!

Hi @S-Driancourt,

Thanks for the sharing! Smiley Happy

Regards

kulchandra Member

Re: Draw your custom shape maps by yourself!

@S-Driancourt @v-ljerr-msft is it possible to create custom map (floor plan) to use in MapBox visual? I am looking for blur heatmap solution in powerbi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 1,164 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: