Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

S-Driancourt
Frequent Visitor

Draw your custom shape maps by yourself!

Hi everyone!

I would like to share with you a tool I created. I think it will be interesting for you if:

1. You want to display your data on a custom shape map
  2. You cannot find the map you need in the required json format

I personally was confronted to this issue a few month ago: the company I was working for had a customized way of splitting their country. Of course they had no shapes for these country in any format, they just had a picture of their territories.

This is why I created ByMapSelf (in WPF). With it you can:

• Draw your maps with free hand point by point or in continuous drawing
  • Use the borders of the shapes you have already created so that there are no ugly spaces between bricks
  • Add polygons to an existing shape if you need to created island, or a duplicated zoomed part in your map
  • Add holes to shapes if you need to add a lake, or if your shape looks like a donut
  • Load pictures as background to help you draw the shapes (I personally have less drawing skills than my 5 years old son)
  • Load backgrounds directly from the integrated web browser, and you your favorite map provider (Bing maps Smiley Wink)
  • Save your work in a dedicated file format
  • Export your shapes as a json file for Power BI custom shape map
  • Export your shapes in a sql file, in case you would need them in SSRS

ByMapSelf is free for the community. I enjoyed developing it and will be very proud if it can help analysts around the world.

Please read the article I wrote on the subject. You can download the tool from here. You won't need to create an account or leave an email.

ByMapSelf screenshotByMapSelf screenshotPower BI ewamplePower BI ewample

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@S-Driancourt @v-ljerr-msft is it possible to create custom map (floor plan) to use in MapBox visual? I am looking for blur heatmap solution in powerbi

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @S-Driancourt,

Thanks for the sharing! Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.