Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lstonehouse
Frequent Visitor

Downversion PBIX Files

Hi,

Is there a way of down versioning a Pbix file so that it can be opened on older versions of Power BI Desktop?

Context: We have developed a report in Power BI Deskop for a client who has a strict approval process and so is at least 6 months behind on Power BI desktop updates. 

We have produced a report on October 2018 Desktop on our system, and when we try to open it on the clients Power BI Desktop Version (Apr 2018) it comes up with the error: 

Unable to open document

"C:/File.pbix" is incompatible with your current version of Microsoft Power BI Desktop. Please install the latest version and try opening the document again.

To my knowledge there is nothing in the report that uses features updated in the past 6 month and so should be able to run. Indeed I've tested saving a report in April 2018 and then saving in October 2018 version and then the same error occurs trying to reopen in April 2018 version.

I've also tried laddering it down: Saving it in September 2018 version and then saving it in August 2018 version and then it still doesnt open in a May 2018 version of Desktop.

My only other option is repeating the work in the old version, which would be a real pain.

Has anyone found a way of downversioning more quickly than that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lstonehouse,

Is there a way of down versioning a Pbix file so that it can be opened on older versions of Power BI Desktop?

I'm afraid it is not available to downgrade .pbix file right now.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.