Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Downloading a published PBIX file that references local CSV files question

Hi

This sounds like a silly question, but am unfamiliar with using CSV files and publishing them, much more used to SQL server datasources within PBI.

I've been asked to put something together from a couple of CSV files held locally on my laptop, then publish it.

All is fine, but when a user downloads the PBIX file and attempts to work with the data on the desktop client, the user gets errors about the datasources not being available (they are the same addresses as the files on my laptop).

Now, might be a silly question, but when I published the PBIX file, I assumed that all the local data got copied up and published too?

When I've downloaded the PBIX file myself, the size of the file is just 25MB, but the size of the datasource CSV files is 250MB, so I'm guessing it doesn't?

Ulitmately, the user just wants to use the data I had locally.

Thanks, StuC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Anonymous ,

To interact with the data, they have to have access to the original data source.  And, they would have to use the FQDN and full network path, including your computer's name and your username and the file locatoin and they would have to have full permission to that folder on your hard drive.  And, your network would have to allow these things.  The "data" is initially viewable in the report, but, as soon as the user downloads the file, they no longer see where it is coming from and that is why it is breaking.

Here is more full explanation and some subsequent links that might be helpful:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-get-data-from-files

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 🙂

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

You are correct that when you publish that the data from the local file is included in the report.  HOWEVER, the user(s) you are sharing the file with do not have the ability to reach into your local drive to actually see that data.  The simple fix is to move the Excel files to a OneDrive, SharePoint or other mutually shared location.  Modify the pbix to use that location of the file.  Then, when you publish the other users will be able to interact with the report and the data.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware that they won't have access to my local files, but why are they not able to access the data if it has been uploaded? 

Is there not a permission I need to change on the data before publishing?

Or is it some kind of dynamic link rather than an upload of data?

Hey @Anonymous ,

To interact with the data, they have to have access to the original data source.  And, they would have to use the FQDN and full network path, including your computer's name and your username and the file locatoin and they would have to have full permission to that folder on your hard drive.  And, your network would have to allow these things.  The "data" is initially viewable in the report, but, as soon as the user downloads the file, they no longer see where it is coming from and that is why it is breaking.

Here is more full explanation and some subsequent links that might be helpful:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-get-data-from-files

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.