Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

YB
Frequent Visitor

Downloading PBIX from Service breaks dataset

Hi Folks,

I have a really strange issue I'm hoping someone could shine a light on.  We are still currently setting up our environment but we have a pipeline for all of our workspaces with a TEST & PRODUCTION environment.  If I download a PBIX from our test workspaces the file opens up fine in Power BI Desktop.  However, downloading a PBIX file from production produces the following message upon opening..."There are pending changes in your queries that haven't been applied".  This message itself isn't too strange, but it will basically break the report if you select "Apply Changes".  The dataset is blown away and you end up with a blank query.  On the other hand clicking on "Discard Changes" preserves the dataset and I can work on the report with no issues.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the service or the desktop.  All I know is we deploy the report to production using the pipeline (not rules are currently used to change the dataset settings).  The report works fine in prod and the published App is fine as well.  I'm not sure if this is a bug with the Desktop client or if this points to a potential issue in our deployment process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
YB
Frequent Visitor

After speaking with Microsoft support they were just as confounded as I was originally.  However, after some research they did discover an interesting limitation outlined in the documentation.

After deployment, downloading a dataset (from the stage it's been deployed to) is not supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-process#limitations-1 

So basically, at least as it stands now, it appears you cannot download a dataset from a location in the pipeline other than it's original uploaded workspace.  Hopefully this will help others if they encounter the same issue.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
bwarner87
Advocate I
Advocate I

@YB ,

Thank you so much for posting this. I ran into a very similar issue as well. Once I went back to the Dev workspace (where i originally uploaded) and downloaded the .pbix I was able to get the complete .pbix file. Additionally worth mentioning is that when I opened the downloaded .pbix file in the last stage of my pipeline (PROD) it didn't have any data sources and 0 queries AND also gave me the same applying changes message you mentioned which had a disasterous effect to my file and made it unusuable. 

Thanks again,

Brandon

YB
Frequent Visitor

After speaking with Microsoft support they were just as confounded as I was originally.  However, after some research they did discover an interesting limitation outlined in the documentation.

After deployment, downloading a dataset (from the stage it's been deployed to) is not supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-process#limitations-1 

So basically, at least as it stands now, it appears you cannot download a dataset from a location in the pipeline other than it's original uploaded workspace.  Hopefully this will help others if they encounter the same issue.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @YB,

Thanks for your sharing, I think these should help other users that work in a similar situation.😊

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @YB,

AFAIK, these notices normally appear when your report closes without saving changes. Any operations that you apply to this report? If you open a new pbix file or open this on a new device, did this notice appears again? 

Please share more detailed information to help us clarify and troubleshoot your scenario:

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

If there is more information to provide I'm not sure what it would be but I'm open to suggestions.  The steps to reproduce are quite simple.

1. Upload report to Test workspace.
  2. Deploy to production using pipeline
  3. Download report from Production workspace
  4. Open on Power BI Desktop

The issue is happening on more than one report across multiple pipelines and workspaces.  As I mentioned, I'm less concerned about the message and more about why it's happening.  If there are no rules applied to the pipeline from test to production, there should be no changes being done to the report.  Furthermore, the report runs fine in all environments.  The question is why is power bi desktop is detecting a change at all?  Also, why would accepting the change completely remove the attached dataset?  

Sure I could just click on cancel and be on my merry way but someone who doesn't realize this could cause themselves a lot of grief.  I'm trying to determine if this is a bug with the desktop or an issue with the service.  Unless I'm missing something completely obvious this should not be happening at all.  With that being said I did open a ticket with support as suggested by Greg.  If I find a solution with support I will post it here but I am completely open to suggestions if someone has some ideas.

Thanks,

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @YB,

So you mean this issue appears on pbix file that deploys to pipeline workspaces? If that is the case, any difference between these different stages?

AFAIK, the pipeline includes multiple workspaces to mapping with different steps, their content can be replaced/merge with existing contents. I think These uncommit changes may relate to these merge/replace operations.

Get started using deployment pipelines, the Power BI Application lifecycle management (ALM) tool - P...

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

I did suspect that might be an issue as well but that is why I verified that no deployment rules have been applied to said pipelines.  I'm sorry if that wasn't clear but I have mentioned this in both of my previous posts.  It is a very strange issue indeed.  The dataset would appear to download intact because canceling the "detected" changes preserves the original dataset.  Also, it doesn't explain why the report/app works just fine in the production workspace.  This is why I'm thinking it could be a bug with either the service or the latest client.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @YB,

For this scenario, I think you can open a ticket with your pbix to ask the power bi support team to trace the backend reasons and the difference between the cloud version and download file which pipeline deployed.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Support | Microsoft Power BI
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@YB You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks, I'll do that.

Hi YB, i faced the same issue, have you already raised a support ticket?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.