Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ansicone
Advocate II
Advocate II

Doughnut chart - total value

Dear all

I can't seem to find option to display total (sum of all) values in doughnut chart, i am used to SalesForce total in the middle, i had good look and still don't know how to add it here - in fact this applies to other charts too. Is this, again, by desing?

9 REPLIES 9
joannm
Frequent Visitor

One of the MAIN reasons for using a donut chart rather than a pie chart is for the ability to place the total in the center. Seems like a rather big miss for an option on this visual. A simple setting for Show/Hide on the value and the label would suffice. I really grow tired of all the workarounds I have to do in my powerbi workbooks.

I guess that what happens when you're basically alone in the Gartner magic quadrant.

ShashidharG
Frequent Visitor

Hey @Ansicone

You can use a card chart on the donut, and it ll appear as if the Total value is fit inside the donut, and lets your tooltip for the donut itself as it gets card to backward scene.

Donut Card.PNGDonut.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done the same. However the card does not appear when the report is shared with someone.

Am I doing something wrong?? 

Cards work great for reports however, they are not included in the dashboard when I "pin visual". Must publish as a full report which means a different look / feel / behavior.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I find it really weird that adding totals in the middle is not an out of the box option, I cannot believe that would be much work to add... I have been using the card in the middle in the past ass well, but as above already stated this is simply not possible when pinning to a dashboard, which is a core functionality in Power BI.

The only working alternative I found is a custom visual called Ring chart, which is able to add totals and some other stuff.

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380824?tab=Overview

That's a good one, and it's free!

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Ansicone

There's  field called "ToolTips" and many tricks can be played with it. In you case, create a proper measure and apply it to the field.

Capture.PNG

Ansicone
Advocate II
Advocate II

Again, thanks for quick reply. Indeed - this is good workaroud, but totally unusable on the dashboard. Oh well M$.

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I think the standard PowerBI way to display a total here is using a card visual and just sizing it to fit in the middle of the chart. A bit strange, I know, but gets the job done. I believe there's also custom visuals that will do it for you like https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/DonutChartGMO1461469098694

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.