Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LucienF38
Helper I
Helper I

Double grouping X axis - Year/month - visualization

Dear Community,

I would like to make a 100% stacked column chart with a double X axis Year/month as you can see below on the pic. By using the same method than in excel it doesnt work and put only year and/or only months.Capture.PNG

Do you have any idea on how to solve this issue ?

Thanks 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to change the Concatenate label setting on the X-Axis.

2019-08-08_10h17_15.png

Then ensure you have expanded the hierarchy on the visual

2019-08-08_10h19_11.png

Some times you will also need to correct the sort order

2019-08-08_10h20_31.png

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a good modeling practice to have a seperate date dimension in your data model.  This table should include a rich set of date fields that you can use in your reporting.  One of the features would be to add an additional column that define the sort order of your months e.g. 1 = Jan etc...  You then need to assign this sort order field to the month label to ensure they are sorted in the correct way.

Hope this makes sense.

2019-08-08_11h02_47.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to change the Concatenate label setting on the X-Axis.

2019-08-08_10h17_15.png

Then ensure you have expanded the hierarchy on the visual

2019-08-08_10h19_11.png

Some times you will also need to correct the sort order

2019-08-08_10h20_31.png

Hello @Anonymous ,

Thanks ! your answer was very helpful. Just a question, I have now an issue of sorting on X axis. I would like 2018 on the left hand side and the months increasing from left to the right. Can you help on this ? 

Thanks 🙂 

I am able by clicking "sort ascending" to have 2018 on the left and 2019 on the right but the months are not sorted as you can see below : Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a good modeling practice to have a seperate date dimension in your data model.  This table should include a rich set of date fields that you can use in your reporting.  One of the features would be to add an additional column that define the sort order of your months e.g. 1 = Jan etc...  You then need to assign this sort order field to the month label to ensure they are sorted in the correct way.

Hope this makes sense.

2019-08-08_11h02_47.png

Thanks @Anonymous , 

Well I understood that it is easier for PBi to sort by numbers. It didn't work by creating a column with the month number but I made it directly in my excel file. It works now. 

Thank you

Well okay I understand that maybe it is easier to sort with numbers than with letters for PBi. I created a column from example with the following formula :

= Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Blank Rows", "Colonne date pour graph", each Text.Combine({Date.ToText([Quote Date], "MM"), " - ", Text.Proper(Date.ToText([Quote Date], "MMMM"))}), type text)

And it works but it creates in the graph months which shouldn't be here such as from August to December 2019 as you can see below. I tried to filter it but it doesnt work as I don't have the options August to December 2019. How can I solve his ?

Capture.PNG

Thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.