Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

peterg0417
Helper II
Helper II

Don't Load Data Until All 3 Sources Are Ready

Hey all,

I'm wonering whether this is possible (preferrably in DataFlows, but whatever is the easiest method will do).

I'm currently extracting data from 3 different sources (or Lines of Business). They are either Excel or CSV sheets. Each Line of Business (or LOB) prepares the data for us quarterly. Right now, I have Quarter 3 data ready for LOB #1, but still waiting on LOB #2 and #3. 

Their data is pulled in as a query in Dataflows, it is transformed, and then appended into 1 table/query. That final query is the only query that is loaded/refreshed into Power BI report.

Is there a way to prevent Quarter 3 data from loading until all 3 LOB's have Quarter 3 data? 

Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @peterg0417 ,

Please write the calculated column like Dist_count_LOB = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('GPM Data'[LOB]))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lukiz84
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You would need to know which of the data is always the first to have the latest data... possible?

Do you mean which LOB is the first to have the data? No. It varies.

I'm wondering if grouping by DateKey (eg. 2022-09-30) and then distinct count LOB would work, but I can't figure the logic out. I tried creating a Calculated table in Desktop with JUST the Date key from my data table, like so:

peterg0417_0-1665768802631.png

But it's not working. 

This is the result I was expecting to get:

peterg0417_1-1665768865908.png

My thought process is that I can use the "Count of LOB" column as a filter for the entire report, to only show data when it equals 3.

Hi @peterg0417 ,

Please write the calculated column like Dist_count_LOB = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('GPM Data'[LOB]))

Good idea. DISTINTCOUNT always returns 3 because you did not connect the date to LOB.

Can you share the Structure of your LOB table?

They are though.

peterg0417_0-1665836821968.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.