Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Doesn't date slicer work with live connection to multidimensional cube

Hi,

Doesn't date slicer work with live connections to multidimensional cube? It seem no matter what I do it will only let me select between list or dropdown when I add my date value to the slicer.

I did the following in my cube:

- set dimension type to 'Time'

- attribute type is set to 'Date' (also tried days)

- source of attribute is a datetime column

I hope some one can just tell me how to make this work or that it is not possible, so I don't waste more time 🙂

Thanks in advance.

/sdjensen
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

name and key dont need to be the same as long as they are the same grain.   Name should be your date, key should be the date key, value is the date.  I usually combine my datekey and date and using the datekey as the key and using the date as the name.

give it a bash, it might work! even if you dont use the key as key, just put date in value

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

@vanessafvg - thank you for all you help and suggestions.

The Value property seemed to be the answer. I set it to a nvarchar column with a data format and this made the 'Date.Value' attribute appear in Power BI Desktop.

/sdjensen

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
kaushikd
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @sdjensen

While estb live connections to multidimensional cube, only one thing is there to keep in note:-

the Date Column(let say Start Date) should have date property thats all.

Now when you are connectng to the model and in report view drop a slicer and put Start Date into it.

If still the issue resists please update the Power Bi desktop application

Hope it will help you.

I am using may 2017 release of Power BI - there is no newer version available at present time.

I set the following properties to the Date dimension (Dimension Type set to 'Time')

DateDimProperties.png

In the Date dimension I have an attribute called 'Date' with the following properties: (Attribute time set to Date (also tried Days) - Source column is called NK_Date and has the datatype Datetime in my source table)

DateAttributeProperties.png

When I add the attribute to a slicer in Power BI I would expect Power BI to recognize this as a date, but I can only see it as a list or dropdown...

This is what I get:

DateList.png

This is what I want:

DateSlicer.png

/sdjensen

@sdjensen change the  usage type from regular to calendaCapture.PNG

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Usage can only be set to 'Regular', 'Key' or 'Parent'

Type is set to 'Date' in the 'Date\Calandar' section.

/sdjensen

ah i looked to quickly well i am at loss!  sorry feels like ages ago and i am no longer at the same company so can't check the settings.

@vanessafvg - well thanks for trying. At least you confirmed that it should be possible. Perhaps I should test this with an older version of PBI Desktop to see if they created this problem in the May release.

/sdjensen

i posted one last try, see that before this post,  if that doesn't work  contact microsoft support if no one else responds here

one last guess, in the properties of the date attribute

you should have 3 properties

key

value

name

are all of them populated?  

key = datekey

name = date

value = date

With this particular attribute it's only the Key that is populated since name and key should be the same and I never discover a situation where I needed value to create what I want.

/sdjensen

name and key dont need to be the same as long as they are the same grain.   Name should be your date, key should be the date key, value is the date.  I usually combine my datekey and date and using the datekey as the key and using the date as the name.

give it a bash, it might work! even if you dont use the key as key, just put date in value

@vanessafvg - thank you for all you help and suggestions.

The Value property seemed to be the answer. I set it to a nvarchar column with a data format and this made the 'Date.Value' attribute appear in Power BI Desktop.

/sdjensen

Hi @sdjensen

I tried the mentioned solution but cannot find Date.Value attribute in Power BI.

Do I need to add it as an Attribute first in my cube.

I have the following attribute as of now:

attributes.png

Hi @Aditya1789,

You need to use the Value property on your attribute when designing your calendar dimension in SSDT/BIDS - this should make Date.Value visible when you browse the cube in Power BI Desktop/Power BI Service.

/sdjensen

Hi @sdjensen

I fixed it by changing the ordey By property of the Date attirubte to Key.

Thanks,

Aditya

I have had this issue before and i remember now the solution was this

When connecting to SSAS Power BI seems to create a new field called DateField.value underneath the DateField and this is the field one needs to use for using date functionality on certain visuals such as the slicer.

That is strange - I don't see this value?

PBI_DateDim.png

/sdjensen

that is very odd, this was in February, so i dont know if there have been any changes since then, where is your surrogate date key, is it the key for your date?

My surrogate key is called '_DWID_Date' and it hidden. I always hide my surrogate keys since they don't make sence for the user. In this case it might though - the surrogate key for todays date may 9th 2017 is in my data a int with the value '20170509'

/sdjensen

yep just checking, best practice to hide keys, try the solution i just posted

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

is this from the date dimension in the cube?  i am not sure you can adjust any of the metadata in power bi if you linking to SSAS MDX as as far as i know it expects that to all be set up in the SSAS model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.