Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

naeljb
Helper I
Helper I

Does "Get Data"allows you to bring a PBI file (dataset) into another one?

I  have two PBI files  (A and B).   File A has a calculated measure and file B has modeled.  How can I bring PBI file A into File B?   Does "Get Data"allows you to bring PBI file (dataset with already calculated measure) into another  PBI file?    

5 REPLIES 5
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @naeljb,

There are two options:

1. Publish report A to Power BI Service. Then open report B and go to Get Data -> Power BI Dataset (select right one). 

2. Each Power BI report has SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular instance behind. So you can open Power BI report, find port of it and go to Get Data -> SQL Server Analysis Services -> localhost:<your port>

See details on how to get port - http://biinsight.com/four-different-ways-to-find-your-power-bi-desktop-local-port-number/

Regards,
Ruslan
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi Ruslan, 

For the first option, when I open report B and try to get report A through Power BI services, I get the following message:  '' the connected live option for this file is disabled because it already contains data from another data source.

But Yes the second option work perfectly

Many thanks,

Nael 

Hi @naeljb,

Do you have any questions regarding the second option?

Regards,
Ruslan

The second option works.  However, I noticed that the measures created in file B aren't displaying correctly.  

Hi @naeljb,

Can you post some screenshots of it? And describe the comparison between file A and B.

Regards,
Ruslan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.