Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

quyen103
Frequent Visitor

Does anyone know if PowerBI map visual needs some special port to be opened?

I am connected to the internet, but none of my map visual in PowerBI Desktop work.  Once I published it to PowerBI.com then the map shows up. 

I wonder if it's because of some firewall issue.... I know my workplace block cloud services.. I can connect to the internet but PowerBI Desktop does not render any map visual, including custom map visual such as Globemap.

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @quyen103,

Power BI desktop rendering doens't require any firewall settings. In your scenario, make sure you are running the latest desktop version. Also please try to download the attached .pbix file to see if the map visual can display.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

I do have the latest desktop version.   I also downloaded your .pbix file and when I opened it in my PowerBI desktop, it came up blank.  Please see screen attached. 

I was searching through the community and I found another person who has the exact same problem that I am facing

Map chart does not work in Desktop

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Map-chart-does-not-work-in-Desktop/m-p/43423#U43423

It's only the map visual that is not working in powerBI desktop..  Do you know if map visual requires connection to the internet through some special port in order to figure out the locations on the map based on data (ie. city, state)?   I know my workplace block cloud services such as OneDrive.. etc..  so I don't know if that is what causing map visual not working.   I appreciate your help!  I was very excited to showcase PowerBI capability to display data based on location to my client.. but now this is a bummer..

blank map visualblank map visual

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.