cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mariah-pg
Regular Visitor

Does PowerBI Dashboard Break While AAS Model is Refreshing?

Hello, I have some large tables that take quite a bit of time to refresh (+7 hours). If I refresh the AAS model (via SSMS or Visual Studio) containing these tables, will that affect end-users' dashboards throughout the duration of the refresh?

Will PowerBI know that a refresh is happening? Does it cache data until the refresh process is complete?

I'm trying to figure out if it's okay to do an AAS Deploy at any time in the day, or if it's best to wait until EOB when end-users are not actively working with the data? Will end-users get an error on their end if they are editing visuals while the refresh/deploy is happening?

I inadvertently tested this today and my test PBI dashboard did not refresh until I hit "Refresh". I'm wondering if someone  hits "Refresh" while AAS is updating, what will happen?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mariah-pg , I am assuming AAS refresh is happing at AAS. At that time does AAS allow query the data, if yes then power will get data(hoping live connection) . Ideally incremental should be done at day end.

For dashboard, you can schedule as refresh.

for more , need info like , where refresh is happing, connection type in power bi

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! Connect on Linkedin
Want To Learn Power BI
Learn Power BI Beginners !! Advance Power BI Concepts !! Power BI For Tableau User !! Learn Power BI in Hindi !!
Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @amitchandak , thank you for the response and info! 

Hm.. where are other places for AAS refresh to happen? I use ADF/SSMS/VS to refresh/deploy updates/new data. Are there other ways to refresh AAS?

Your statement is my question (thank you for articulating it!) - does AAS allow data queries while refresh is happening? If so, is that data the old data, the new data, or both?

Yes, I agree incremental is ideal, but the data doesnt have a partition. Are there other ways to do incremental loads?

More details:

Yes, Power BI is connecting to the data in AAS via Live Connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power BI December 2021 Update_carousel 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2021 Updates!

User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Jan 2022 Dev Camp 768x460 copy.png

Power BI Dev Camp- January 27th, 2022

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors