Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shaibu

Does Power BI Support Aggregate Awareness?

Does Power BI support aggregate awareness – Aggregate awareness is supported in OBIEE.

Scenario

Sales_Amt

Sales_Amt

Note

Fact_Sales_Day

Sales_Amt

Sum(Fact_sales_day.sales_amt) <> Fact.sales_month.sales_amt  

Fact_Sales_Month

Sales_Amt

Sum(Fact_sales_month.sales_amt) <> Fact.sales_year.sales_amt  

Fact_Sales_Year

Sales_Amt

Sales Report requirement

Drill Path

Expected Sales_amt

Year

One row per year & the sales amount = one row in Fact_sales_year

Year->Month

One row per month & the total sales amount for the year = aggregation of Fact_sales_month for the selected year

Year->Month->Day

One row per day & the total sales amount for the year = aggregation of Fact_sales_Day for the selected year

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@shaibu,

You may create a calendar table and use HASONEVALUE ( 'Calendar'[Date].[Day] ) in nested IF Function to add a measure.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not sure if this is the right answer, but Power BI supports context when you use measures. So, you would create a single measure m_Sales_Amt which would have a formula such as SUM(Table[Sales_Amt). Technically, for something this basic, you wouldn't need to use a measure, you could use the default aggregations. Then, as you drill down through, the measure will reflect the current context of the visualization.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Not sure if I've understood .  In my case , there are 3 physical fact tables (fact_sales_day ,fact_Sales_month,fact_Sales_year) & three physical columns (sls_amt_day in fact_day, sls_amt_mnth in fact_month ,sls_amt_year , fact_year) . I understand that in OBIEE I can create one logical measure sls_amt & map all the physical measures (sls_amt_day,sls_amt_mnth,sls_amt_year) to logical fact fact_Sales (logical fact sales is mapped to physical fact fact_year,month day). Depending on the drill path , aggregates from respective fact ie if year then fact_year, month then Fact_month  & day then fact_Day.

What is the equivalent in Power BI?

@shaibu,

You may create a calendar table and use HASONEVALUE ( 'Calendar'[Date].[Day] ) in nested IF Function to add a measure.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.