Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akj2784
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Do we need Sql Server Developer tools SSDT for SSAS ?

Hi All,

We are planning to have Sql Server Analysis Services 2017 for Power BI Desktop.

Just wanted to check do we need Sql Server Developer Tools as well ?

And what is the purpose of that. Could not find any suitable blog for the same.

Also if we want to implement row level security, does it need the model to be based on Live Query always ? Or we can implement using import method too.

Regards,

Akash

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@akj2784

Power BI Desktop is more like a reporting tool (Report Builder + Power Query Editor). It can handle Analysis Services Tabular project, but it can't work with Multidimensional project. 

When connecting SSAS, I suggest always open live connection since it will load entire model. Otherwise, it will just import flat table. And for SSAS source live connection, Power BI directly takes role security you configured in Tabular/Multidimensional Cube.

Regards,

Thank you for reply. 

When you say Live connection, do you mean creating a model in Power BI Desktop by selecting DirectQuery and connecting to SSAS. With this everytime I run a report it will hit the SSAS.

And when I publish it to Service, it will connect to SSAS via On Premise Gateway ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.