Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hieuht_nan
Frequent Visitor

Do I need to buy Office 365 to get Admin rights or do I just buy PowerBI Pro?

Hi all!

I want publish my report to my website for everyone can view it. When I choose Embed Report/Publish to web (public), it show error "Contact your admin to enable embed code creation".

So that, Do I need to buy Office 365 to get Admin rights or do I need just buy PowerBI Pro account for that publish?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @hieuht_nan ,

If you want to buy a pro licence for yourself, you need to have a personal power bi account first, not belongs to your work.

Supported email addresses

Before you start the sign-up process, it's important to learn which types of email addresses that you can use to sign-up for Power BI:

• Power BI requires that you use a work or school email address to sign up. You can't sign up using email addresses provided by consumer email services or telecommunication providers. This includes outlook.com, hotmail.com, gmail.com, and others. If you don't have a work or school account, learn about alternate ways to sign up.

• You can sign-up for Power BI with .gov or .mil addresses, but this requires a different process. For more info, see Enroll your US Government organization in the Power BI service.

With power bi account, you can buy a power bi pro licence for this account at this page:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hieuht_nan , 

"When I choose Embed Report/Publish to web (public), it show error "Contact your admin to enable embed code creation""

You need to be a Microsoft Power BI user to use Publish to web. Your report viewers don't need to be Power BI users.

If you cannot use 'Publish to web' in power bi service, please contact your admin to enable this option in Admin Portal:

admin portal.png

More details about publishing to web, please refer: Publish to web from Power BI 

If your company has bought license of Office 365 and PBI Pro before, your e-mail licence in power bi is managed by your admin in this tenant.

About administrators roles in power bi, please refer: Understanding Power BI administrator roles 

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yingjl !

I know it, but I want buy a license only for me, dont want our admin manages it. But I dont have any another work email 😞 so that, can you allow me buy a license of PBI Pro by Hotmail our Outlook mail (as solution of @themistoklis ) ??? 😄 If can not, I think I have to buying a domain for work mail (it is really expensive and inconvenience for me) 

Hi @hieuht_nan ,

If you want to buy a pro licence for yourself, you need to have a personal power bi account first, not belongs to your work.

Supported email addresses

Before you start the sign-up process, it's important to learn which types of email addresses that you can use to sign-up for Power BI:

• Power BI requires that you use a work or school email address to sign up. You can't sign up using email addresses provided by consumer email services or telecommunication providers. This includes outlook.com, hotmail.com, gmail.com, and others. If you don't have a work or school account, learn about alternate ways to sign up.

• You can sign-up for Power BI with .gov or .mil addresses, but this requires a different process. For more info, see Enroll your US Government organization in the Power BI service.

With power bi account, you can buy a power bi pro licence for this account at this page:

Best Regards,

It work for me. Thank you so much!

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @hieuht_nan ,

As i had the same issue in the past, i just bought a PowerBI PRO license and i managed to publish my report to web.

I think your email address need to be a work email address (but you need to check it)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-purchasing-power-bi-pro

Hi @themistoklis , thank for your reply!

I will use my work email (mail server of my company) when buy PBI Pro, but my company has bought license of Office 365 and PBI Pro before. Now I want buy another PBI Pro for only me to publishing report on my website, but I'm afraid that Microsoft manage by domain of email (for example abc.com) so that the supper admin still is IT staft of our company (because I use work email when buy) and I'm not an admin of my license 😞  

@hieuht_nan 

This is true. The IT admin of your company will be able to manage your PowerBI license.

I suggest you contact Microsoft and check whether you can purchase a PowerBI PRO licenses using an outlook or hotmail account. Nothing to lose actually

Thank you! I think I will buy a domain that provide an work email for me >_<

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors