Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PBI5851
Helper V
Helper V

Do Append Queries need to be in Relationship

Hello,

I am appending data from three tables (which were fed by SQL server) to form a new table. In addition to this, there are other tables too. My question is, do i need to have the three tables in a relationship  or is it sufficient to just have the Appended table connected to other tables. All my fields in the dashboard will be read of the appendded table and I will be hiding the three above mentioned tables .

What do you recommend ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

@PBI5851 , the 3 tables you've appended together should not be loaded into your data model.  In the query editor, right click on those 3 queries and uncheck "Enable Load".  They will still be used when you refresh data behind the scenes but do not need to be loaded to the data model.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PBI5851 

For Append feature, there are two options "Append Queries" and "Append Queries as New". It seems that you have chosen "Append Queries as New".

In your scenario, if the original three tables will be not used in future, recommend you choose "Append Queries" to get the unique appended table. Then you may create relationships between the appended table and other tables on matched fields.

If there is no matched field, you may create intermediate table like DAX below.

Intermediate Table1 = UNION(DISTINCT(Table1[Column1]), DISTINCT(Table2[Column2]))

Intermediate Table1= UNION(

SELECTCOLUMNS('Table1', "Column1",[Column1],"Column2" ,[Column2]),

SELECTCOLUMNS('Table2', "Column1",[Column1],"Column2" ,[Column2]))

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PBI5851 , if they exactly same or have a difference only of one/two numeric columns, append will work better. if there is a need to enhance table data with another table merge is better.

In case you have a common dimension sorted out you can always go with that.

Take this file, this was the ideal case merge of append. But still able to use that with a common dimension. Just the way if better to manage in future 

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

@amitchandak No idea how your reply is different than other posted answers. Please clarify so that I can learn

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

@PBI5851 , the 3 tables you've appended together should not be loaded into your data model.  In the query editor, right click on those 3 queries and uncheck "Enable Load".  They will still be used when you refresh data behind the scenes but do not need to be loaded to the data model.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@PBI5851 there is no simple answer, depends on what you are trying to achieve, if you share sample data and expected output then it will be easier to help the answer. 

Although based on your description, making one table by appending and linking with other tables makes sense.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.