Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Dividing something by the working days last month

Hi,

I have a Formula  that calculates how many notes were created last month:

Last Month Pmt Notes = CALCULATE(count('Payment Notes'[User]),'Payment Notes'[Is note previous month?]=TRUE)

The [Is note previous month?] comes from calculated columns.  One that calculates 1 month ago, one that calculates the month to the date of the note, and a third that compares them and sees if they're equal. 

I'd like to also divide the result of the above by the number of working days in the previous month.  So [Last Month Pmt Notes]/<?>

Dividing by the total days last month seems easy using eomonth, but how to divide just by the weekdays? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mmace1,

If I understand you correctly, you may need to create another calculate column to indicate if a date is working day or not first. Then it will be easy to calculate the number of working days last month with a filter as [IsWorkingDay] = TRUE.

To create the [IsWorkingDay] calculate column, you can refer to this article which describes how to calculate working days in data model by using DAX. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mmace1,

If I understand you correctly, you may need to create another calculate column to indicate if a date is working day or not first. Then it will be easy to calculate the number of working days last month with a filter as [IsWorkingDay] = TRUE.

To create the [IsWorkingDay] calculate column, you can refer to this article which describes how to calculate working days in data model by using DAX. Smiley Happy

Regards

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

OK, the way I ended up solving it for working days per month was:

Added a column to my calender table that returned "1" for working day, and "0" for not. 

Then to get the number of working days last month:

calculate(sum('Calender Table'[Is Weekday?]),'Calender Table'[Date]<=eomonth(today(),-1),'Calender Table'[Date]>eomonth(today(),-2))

Edit:  For Holidays, created table in Excel with 2 columsn.  First is all the 2017 dates, second is a 0 or 1 (1 = one of our holidsays).  Uploaded to Power BI, then connected to my main calendar table, and pulled over the 0s/1s.  Then added a third value to the CALCULATE formula above, that checkes if the holiday value is 0. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.