Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DKealy
Regular Visitor

Divide sum of one column by sum of another column

A power BI newbie here.

I have a table containing a number of columns, please see below:

Power BI desktop table.png

I want to add anew column in Power BI desktop report - table format - which contains the value from "Paid Cases" divided by value from "Collectable Cases" for each row in the table.

Sounds simple.

But I have not been able to get this to work. I thought the formula %Paid = DIVIDE('tablename'[Paid Cases]),'tablename'[Collectable Cases]),0) would work.

It doesn't. This just returned the same values in the "Paid Cases" column.

I have read many answers on forums and the internet, none which have produced a simple answer for what should be a simple action.

I do not want to create a new measure, just a simple formula to divide one column by another to produce a new column in the same table.

If it helps, "Paid Cases" is a count created in a table. "Collectable Cases" is a column that was added to the table as a reuslt of a simple calculation - "Cases Received" - ("Closed by Client"+"Closed by ZZPS"+"Accounts on Hold").

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DKealy
Regular Visitor

I found the answer to my issue.

More fool me for not wanting to create a new measure, Creating a new measure was indeed the answer.

Paid % = DIVIDE(SUM('tablename'[Paid Cases]),SUM('tablename'[Collectable Cases]),0) is the measure that produced the desired results along with changing the formatting to "Percentage".

IT is all so easy once you know how.

Issue resolved.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DKealy
Regular Visitor

I found the answer to my issue.

More fool me for not wanting to create a new measure, Creating a new measure was indeed the answer.

Paid % = DIVIDE(SUM('tablename'[Paid Cases]),SUM('tablename'[Collectable Cases]),0) is the measure that produced the desired results along with changing the formatting to "Percentage".

IT is all so easy once you know how.

Issue resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DKealy Your personal problem solving was useful to me. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors