Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kfschaefer
Helper IV
Helper IV

Divide one column by another

what is wrong with this statatement

divide([#"NetIncome$Total"],[RevenueTotal])

Got example from Chris Webb blog:

member measures.[France as a % of US] as 
divide(measures.[France Sales],measures.[US Sales]) 
, format_string=’0.00%’

got error message:

Expression error: The name 'divide' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is far too much information to go into here. I suggest you read my book as a great way to get started quickly and correctly. http://xbi.com.au/learndax

with your first formula, are the 2 arguments inside divide columns or measures?  As a second question, Is the formula you are trying to write a measure or a calculated column?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Are you writing DAX or MDX? The first is valid DAX as long as you add an equal sign at the front and as long as the 2 arguments are measures. If they are columns, then it may be valid if it is inside an iterator. 

The second formula is MDX.  

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Please clarify, I am still quit new at this, "then it may be valid if it is inside an iterator."  I would be happy to use which ever I can get to work.

Thanks for the assistance.

This is far too much information to go into here. I suggest you read my book as a great way to get started quickly and correctly. http://xbi.com.au/learndax

with your first formula, are the 2 arguments inside divide columns or measures?  As a second question, Is the formula you are trying to write a measure or a calculated column?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.