Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Paddhof1984
Helper III
Helper III

Divide Measures

Hello dear PowerBI community,

I do need your help regarding a calculation i want to do with 2 created measures:

I do have 2 measures:

TO2016 cumul. 

and

TO2017 cumul.

These 2 measures show the cumulated turnover over the months of the specific year.

Now I tried to compare those 2 measures and what I want to see is the percentual change of the turnover from this year compared to last year cumulated per month:

Dev. vs. Cumul. 2016 = DIVIDE(TOTALYTD(SUM(RE2016[TO2016])|'Calendar'[Date])|(TOTALYTD(SUM(RE2017act[TO2017])|'Calendar'[Date])))

This DAX-Expression somehow doesn't show any values on the table chart on my Power BI Desktop. Any suggestions how to proceed on this one?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
I have a somewhat similar issue:

I’m required to divide the aggregated sum of two values in two different Periods (P6/ P12) and Scenarios (Actual/Budget). The issue is how to store the values and then utilise them in the final measure - Actual#MAP131_ARO while using only P6 in the Period Slicer or preferrably P6 and P12 in the Visual Filter

1. A#MAP131_P6 =

CALCULATE(

SUM(GRA_extract[Value]),

FILTER(GRA_extract, GRA_extract[Account]="MAP131"),

FILTER (GRA_extract, GRA_extract[Currency]="GBP"),

NOT(GRA_extract[ServiceLine]) IN {"AllCustom2","TotalUnit","AboveUnit", "TotalAbove", "TotalServices"},

NOT(GRA_extract[Sector]) IN {"AllCustom1","TotalUnit","TotalSectors"},

FILTER ( GRA_extract, GRA_extract[Custom3] = "IFRS100PC" ),

FILTER ( GRA_extract, GRA_Extract[Period] = "P6" )

)

Result = 12623440.522209276

1. A#MAP131_P12 =

CALCULATE(

SUM(GRA_extract[Value]),

FILTER(GRA_extract, GRA_extract[Account]="MAP131"),

FILTER (GRA_extract, GRA_Extract[Scenario]="Budget"),

NOT(GRA_extract[ServiceLine]) IN {"AllCustom2","TotalUnit","AboveUnit", "TotalAbove", "TotalServices"},

NOT(GRA_extract[Sector]) IN {"AllCustom1","TotalUnit","TotalSectors"},

FILTER ( GRA_extract, GRA_extract[Custom3] = "IFRS100PC" ),

FILTER ( GRA_extract, GRA_Extract[Period] = "P12" )

)

Result = 36209485.11878476

Actual#MAP131_ARO = ([A#MAP131_P6]/[A#MAP131_P12])

The final result is Infinity

I'd appreciate your kind advice.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Paddhof1984,

It will be help if you share some sample data and the measure formulas.

In addition, if your measure contains some specific filters or 'all' filter, they may not works in other measures.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

my measures:

TO2016 cumul.:

TO2016 cumul. = TOTALYTD(SUM(RE2016[TO2016])|'Calendar'[Date])

TO2017 cumul.:

TO2017 cumul. = TOTALYTD(SUM(RE2017act[TO2017act])|FILTER(ALL('Calendar'[Date])|'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX(RE2017act[PurchDate])))

sample Data:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgBF1Ha5yWKVj4g5FAec2PkvLL9yYw

Hi @Paddhof1984,

Based on test ,your 'To2016 cumul' measure seems not works on table visual.
After I modify its formula, the divide measures will works.

TO2016 cumul. = TOTALYTD(SUM(RE2016[TO2016]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Calendar'[Date]),'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX(RE2016[PurchDate])))
TO2017 cumul. = TOTALYTD(SUM(RE2017act[TO2017act]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Calendar'[Date]),'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX(RE2017act[PurchDate])))

9.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft Thanks a lot, the measures now show up on my new measure:

Dev. vs. Cumul. 2016 = DIVIDE('add calc'[TO2017 cumul.]-'add calc'[TO2016 cumul.]|'add calc'[TO2016 cumul.])

Last question regarding this one: how can I intersect this measure to only to show the dates of RE2017act[month].

If I add Intersect to Dev. vs. Cumul. 2016, the values shown on the chart are wrong or a error is shown.

Hi @Paddhof1984,

So you want to hide the blank records which not exists in 2017, right?

If this is a case, you can try to use below formula:

Dev. vs. Cumul= if(ISBLANK([TO2017 cumul.])=FALSE(), DIVIDE([TO2017 cumul.]-[TO2016 cumul.],[TO2016 cumul.],0))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft

Hello,

somehow, when I add the the turnover from my tables to a splitted bar chart, the procentual change over the year differs to the one from my measuers ([GT 2016]-[GT 2017])/[GT 2016].

Here's my sample file, maybe you can tell me, why there's a difference between the shown values and the values calculated by the measure:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgBF1Ha5yWKVj4g61jARhrEfUEKYQQ

Hi @Paddhof1984,

I double check on previous sample file and found that it has the same result on my side.
Notice: I create a new measure to store the new calculated formula, 'dev vs cumul 2016' is your original measure.

9.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Paddhof1984
Helper III
Helper III

This DAX-expression for an additional measure also doesn't shows any values on the chart:

Dev. vs. Cumul. 2016 = DIVIDE('add calc'[TO2017 cumul.]|('add calc'[TO2016 cumul.]))

@v-huizhn-msft

Maybe you got any clue how to implement this DAX-Expression, so the right values show up on the report?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.