Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Distribute calculated amount between Quarters of a Year

Hi there,

I have a table with the following shape:

ProductName

StartDate (DDMMYYYY)

EndDate (DDMMYYYY)

MonthyFee

Duration_Month

SoftwareLicense1

30,00 €

SoftwareLicense2

55,00 €

I would like to calculate the sum of the MonthlyFees for Q3/2020, Q4/2020, Q1/2021 etc.

Do I have to insert a column for each of my desired aggregates or is there a smarter way? I want to prevent to change the Query in a year and add columns for the quarters of 2022.

I added a Date Table as mentioned here --> https://kohera.be/blog/power-bi/how-to-create-a-date-table-in-power-bi-in-2-simple-steps/#:~:text=%2...

...but I struggle to implement a logic to it.

My aim is to build a report where the user can navigate trough each Product and/or Quarter of a Year and see the summed up Values.

So for example:

Period:

ProductName:

Amount

Q3/2021

SoftwareLicence1

600,00 €

My Input (DataTable with each purchased License in a row and the mentioned columns) will be updated on a monthly basis.

Any hint is highly appreciated!

Thank you,

Frederik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

For your requirement,you need to  split period data into months.

You need to create a function as below first : (create a funtion/ blankquery ,then paste it into  Advanced Editor)

8.png14.png

(startdate as date, enddate as date) as table =>
let
 Source = {Number.From(startdate)..Number.From(enddate)},
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", type date}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
    #"Calculated End of Month" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Date", Date.EndOfMonth, type date}}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Calculated End of Month"),
    #"Inserted End of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Duplicates", "EndOfYear", each Date.EndOfYear([Date]), type date),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Inserted End of Year", {}, {{"Original", each _, type table}, {"Months_Total", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

then apply it to "Invoke Custom Function"

9.png

Expand  all tables and  just keep the columns you want , you will get the following result:

10.png

Create a calculated column as below:

Period = FORMAT('Table'[Custom.Original.Date],"\Qq yyyy")

11.png

The result will show as below:

12.png

For more details,please check the attached pbix file and this related thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Splitting-period-data-into-months/m-p/113861 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

For your requirement,you need to  split period data into months.

You need to create a function as below first : (create a funtion/ blankquery ,then paste it into  Advanced Editor)

8.png14.png

(startdate as date, enddate as date) as table =>
let
 Source = {Number.From(startdate)..Number.From(enddate)},
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", type date}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
    #"Calculated End of Month" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Date", Date.EndOfMonth, type date}}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Calculated End of Month"),
    #"Inserted End of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Duplicates", "EndOfYear", each Date.EndOfYear([Date]), type date),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Inserted End of Year", {}, {{"Original", each _, type table}, {"Months_Total", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

then apply it to "Invoke Custom Function"

9.png

Expand  all tables and  just keep the columns you want , you will get the following result:

10.png

Create a calculated column as below:

Period = FORMAT('Table'[Custom.Original.Date],"\Qq yyyy")

11.png

The result will show as below:

12.png

For more details,please check the attached pbix file and this related thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Splitting-period-data-into-months/m-p/113861 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, Extremly Helpful! Worked exactly as I imagined!

Thanks a lot!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Does your calendar table have a field for Quarter?

Is it possible for a license to start on a day different from the first day of a month, and to end not on the last day of a month?

Do you care about months having different number of days?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

Yes, my calendar has a field for quarter and a lot of more columns:

HerdMS_0-1603173028974.png

In reality the licences can start during a month but in the Input file, this will always be standardized to the first of the month so the licences will always start at the first of a month and end at the last day of a month. The duration of a license is between 1 - 36 months.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.