Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IcingOnTheCake
Helper III
Helper III

Distinguish between mobile and desktop users (receive OS/device information)

Hi Experts,

we need to present different links in several Power BI visuals dependant on the fact whether a user uses a mobil device or a desktop/notebook.
Is there any way to get to know that? 
Any way to get the information what OS is used or what hardware?
Thank you for your help.

Best regards

4 REPLIES 4
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @IcingOnTheCake  ,

Power bi desktop does not support the use of functions to obtain whether the user is using a mobile device or a desktop/notebook. You can ask questions and vote on your thoughts in this URL:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

And you can only view the View usage metrics report in Power Bi Service, this monitoring data cannot be displayed in the local .pbix.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @IcingOnTheCake  ,

1. You can select a report and open View usage metrics report

v-yangliu-msft_0-1620979400135.png

2. Select Report performance in the interface that appears

v-yangliu-msft_3-1620979444459.png

3. Find the Consumption method of Report performance in the lower right corner, and then it will display: How users opened the report, such as via the Power BI service (powerbi.com), Power BI Embedded, or a mobile device.v-yangliu-msft_2-1620979400143.png

This is the relevant document, hope to help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-modern-usage-metrics

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I've tried to download the Metrix pbix to see what they lookup and see whether that could help, but download pbix is greyed out for the metrics report..

Thank you @v-yangliu-msft 
But I need to react differently in my report, if the user uses a mobile app or is a desktop user.
(I want to present different links in my report). So I would need a function IN MY REPORT that allows me this distinction. So is there any way to get exact this distinction you mentioned: "Power BI service (powerbi.com), Power BI Embedded, or a mobile device" with a function or anything else in my report during runtime?

It is saved in the metrics, so there is a way to get it... but how?
Thank you 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.