Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

viveksasi94
Helper I
Helper I

Distinct count row elements and make row elements as header

Hi everyone, I'm new to Power BI, tried with different discussion forums but not working for me. Kindly help me out with this.

INPUT Table

NumberColumn2
1a
2a
1b
4a
2b
4b
4a
1b

Desired OUTPUT Table

Numberab

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@viveksasi94 Do you want to display the data in the visual like that or want to store/transform the data. If it is just for displaying then use "Matrix" visual.

If you want to transform that data, then you can achieve that in "Power Query Editor" as below. It will dynamically if there is any new additions in Column2 as well.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUpUitWJVjKCs0BiSWCWCYosQgxdFlVHMlwMyIoFAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Number = _t, ID = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Number", Int64.Type}, {"ID", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns" = Table.Unpivot(#"Changed Type", {"ID"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns", List.Distinct(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns"[Value]), "Value", "Attribute", List.Count)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ChandeepChhabra
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

From the Modeling Tab, click on the New Table option and try this formula 

Output Table = ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[Number]),"A",CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Column2]),Table1[Column2]="a"),"b",CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Column2]),Table1[Column2]="b"))

Snapshot of the output

Capture.PNG

PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@viveksasi94 Do you want to display the data in the visual like that or want to store/transform the data. If it is just for displaying then use "Matrix" visual.

If you want to transform that data, then you can achieve that in "Power Query Editor" as below. It will dynamically if there is any new additions in Column2 as well.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUpUitWJVjKCs0BiSWCWCYosQgxdFlVHMlwMyIoFAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Number = _t, ID = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Number", Int64.Type}, {"ID", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns" = Table.Unpivot(#"Changed Type", {"ID"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns", List.Distinct(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns"[Value]), "Value", "Attribute", List.Count)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Thanks, @PattemManohar I just need the matrix visualization. This helped 🙂  

Gazzer
Resolver II
Resolver II

Not pretty, but it works:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUpUitWJVjKCs0BiSWCWCYosQgxdFqojFgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Number = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Number", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", type text}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "a", each if [Column2] = "a" then 1 else 0),
    #"Added Conditional Column1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Conditional Column", "b", each if [Column2] = "b" then 1 else 0),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Conditional Column1", {"Number"}, {{"a", each List.Sum([a]), type number}, {"b", each List.Sum([b]), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Now let someone far more clever than me show you how to do this with a nice bit of DAX...

Thank you @Gazzer for your time and effort, but the dataset that I gave is only to illustrate my problem. I need a dynamic DAX command so that I don't need to mention the row values manually. 

Something more like this:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUpUitWJVjKCs0BiSWCWCYosQgxdFqEDxEqG64CwTCHqYgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Number = _t, Column2 = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Number", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", type text}}),
#"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column2", "Column2 - Copy"),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Duplicated Column", List.Distinct(#"Duplicated Column"[#"Column2 - Copy"]), "Column2 - Copy", "Column2", List.Count)
in
#"Pivoted Column"

image.png 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.