Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abehrmann
Helper II
Helper II

Distinct count filtered Average

I am looking to get an average of Days in ops based on distinct Request #

I tried : Ops Average Age = divide(sum(OfficeTrax[Days in OPS]),distinctcount(OfficeTrax[Request #]))

But it doesnt get me the result i want.  

Any ideas? 

Ops Average Age = divide(sum(OfficeTrax[Days in OPS]),distinctcount(OfficeTrax[Request #]))

Capture.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
Christann
Helper IV
Helper IV

I fiddled around with your sample data, and this is the only solution that I came up with:

First create an index column with a distinct value for each row.

Then use this code for your measure:

Ops Average Age =
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGEX ( OfficeTrax, OfficeTrax[Days in Ops] ),
    ALL ( OfficeTrax[Index] )
)

as an alternative i have duplicated the table in the query editor and repoved duplicates and then calculated the average that way. the number is correct but i am having trouble with the relationships on the page level filters 

as an alternative i have duplicated the table in the query editor and repoved duplicates and then calculated the average that way. the number is correct but i am having trouble with the relationships on the page level filters Smiley Frustrated

Hi @abehrmann

i am having trouble with the relationships on the page level filters

I don't know why you need to create relationships, could you tell more about this?

Additionally, please have a look at my analysis about your case->

With rafaelmpsantos's measure, you could create the desired table on a report by table visual

3.png

If you want to create a new table as your desired table, addition to create one in query editor, you could create a new table with DAX

Table = SUMMARIZE(Sheet1,Sheet1[request],Sheet1[days in ops])

2.png

Then add columns in the table visual, and right-click on the "days in ops" column in the Value field, select "average" 

4.png

Best Reagrds

Maggie

@v-juanli-msft the new table  worked for me to get accurate averages.  But now when i filter the rest of the data these averages do not interact with the rest of the page 

Hi @abehrmann 

I guess the original table has some relationship with other tables, you want your new table interact with with other tables too.

Please show me some example of other tables and what you want to show in this new table when filter in another table.

Best Regards

Maggie

try it

measure = AVERAGEX(DISTINCT(OfficeTrax);OfficeTrax[Days in OPS])

If it solve, please mark as solved and give your positive feedback.

@rafaelmpsantos  that measure gave me the same result as if i just averaged the column [days in ops]

below is a samlpe of what my goal is 

Desired Result                   Sample Dataset

Request #            Days in Ops        Request #            Days in Ops

R123                     1                            R123                     1

R124                     2                            R124                     2

R125                     4                            R125                     4

R126                     7                            R123                     1

AVG:                     3.5                        R126                     7

R124                     2

AVG:      2.833333333

@rafaelmpsantos

I have been working on several replies only to find that you had already answered them. Great work!

P.S. Your solutions are more elegant than mine anyway! Smiley Happy

Thanks @Christann, i have big difficulties with english, i'm brazilian, but i try to help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.