Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrsid2201
Regular Visitor

Distinct column values from SharePoint Lookup

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Power BI. 

I have created a project status dashboard in Power BI Desktop. My data is being pulled from a Sharepoint online list. 

My online list columns are as follows:

Country | Vertical | Categories | Project Title | Project Stage | IT Owner Status

The IT Owner column is an AD lookup field so as to easily enter a person's name. 

On my dashboard, I have a stacked column chart visualization for Project Status by IT Owner.

In some cases, there might be several IT Owners for the same project.

I have attached two screenshots for example:

• This is the sharepoint list with two projects where the same IT owner (Bino Balan) is part of both the projects (I wasn't able to capture the status column in this screenshot). 

Template.PNG

• This is the visualization for IT Owner Project Status.

IT Owner Project Status.PNG

For the above example, the visualization treats the same IT owner (Bino Balan) as two different values. How can I pull distinct names from a group of IT owners in this example and add the status count to their individual names?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

For a project including 3 people i'd say you need to create 2 additional rows. This can be done by a combination of split column and unpivot:

Starting tableStarting tableSplit column by ";"Split column by ";"

Highlight your new columns and then press unpivot. 

You should get a row for each participant in each project.

Connect on LinkedIn

I was able to split the columns but unpivoting the new columns caused the new columns to disappear and the following error:

DataSource.Error: We couldn't parse OData response result. Error: A value without a type name was found and no expected type is available. When the model is specified, each value in the payload must have a type which can be either specified in the payload, explicitly by the caller or implicitly inferred from the parent value.
Details:
DataSourceKind=SharePoint
DataSourcePath=https://#######/sites/it

PowerBI Error.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.