Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Distinct applications count by month giving incorrect results.

Hi Guys,

I have an 'AppData' table with five columns appId, app submitted date, app approved date,fundedamnt and app funded date.I need to calculate the number of applications approved, number of applications funded by month for each year.

Below are the measures I used to calculate the number of funded apps:

Total Apps = DISTINCTCOUNT('AppData'[ApplicationId]) 

Total Funded = CALCULATE([Total Apps],AppData[FundedAmnt] > 0))

Funded = CALCULATE([Total Funded], FILTER(AppData,
AppData[FundedDate] >= MIN(dCalender[DimDateKey]) && AppData[FundedDate] <= MAX(dCalender[DimDateKey])
))

dCalender is another date table to which I am referening the dates from.

Using the above measure 'Funded', I created the below pivot table which is returning incorrect counts for each month. Also, the total count on each column is incorrect as well. 

For April column( 4,995 + 7,786+7,365 + 6,735 = 26,881) but the sum shows 33,604.  Please help me resolve this issue.

cnt.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to solve the problem finally. There was a default Many-to-One relationship that Power BI created autmatically between my submitted date and the Date field in the dCalender that was causing the issue.

I removed the link/relationship from the 'Manage relationships' tab and the problem was solved.

Thank you for the sugesstion though. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You should not need the Funded measure at all.  Just drag the Total funded measure in the visual.  Ensure that:

1. The Year and Month in your visual are dragged from the dcalendar table; and
  2. There is a relatioship from the FundedDate column of AppData Table to the Date column of your dCalendar table.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ashish_Mathur By relationship between the Funded Date and the date column of the dCalender table, do you mean an actual merge join or anything else?

How should I create a relationship between the two columns from these two tables without actually joining them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to solve the problem finally. There was a default Many-to-One relationship that Power BI created autmatically between my submitted date and the Date field in the dCalender that was causing the issue.

I removed the link/relationship from the 'Manage relationships' tab and the problem was solved.

Thank you for the sugesstion though. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.