Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

78f111898f2543f

Distinct Record count based on conditions in a context filter.

Hey amigos! 

New to Power BI and I am used to Tableau's Level of Detail ability.  Here's my dataset which I have simplified for business reasons. I have a bunch of transactional data about widgets. I care about what district the transaction happened, the amount, the widget id, a widget rating, the widget model, and when the transaction happened. 

In one of my caluclations I have to multiple the widget rating by the number of months the user cares to see in the filters of the report. 

I have tried, but failed to produce the right number with TOTALMTD(DistinctCount('XTRN'[WidgetId]), 'XTRN'[TimePeriod]) which does not work, as it is not payting attention to the filters on the report page.

I started out simply with a if ('XTRN'[TransactionType] = "ABC", 1, 0) and summing that, but it does not give me a distinct count because sometimes a Widget shows up twice in a month. 

I have tried an calculate with an ALL, ALLSELECTED, ALLEXCEPT but those are ignoring the filtered critieria. 

What am I missing here? How do I get a unique count of monthly transactions for a filtered dataset? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @78f111898f2543f 

The reason why your formula is not changed with slicers may be that you create a calcualted column instead of a meaure.

you can create such measures which can change with slicers.

Measure = DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[id])

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @78f111898f2543f 

The reason why your formula is not changed with slicers may be that you create a calcualted column instead of a meaure.

you can create such measures which can change with slicers.

Measure = DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[id])

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Please try.

You should able to add an additional filter?

TOTALMTD(DistinctCount('XTRN'[WidgetId]), 'XTRN'[TimePeriod],filter('XTRN','XTRN'[TransactionType]= "ABC"))

The user is filtered by Disctrict and ReportingMonth, do I have to respecify all filters on a report? That seems like not a good solution or the intended design of Power BI. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.