Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Distinct Count

Hi,

I couldn't see an answer in the forum... so here it goes. Thanks in advance.

I have a list of projects (ProjectID) in my table Projects-all. Each of them has different organisations (OrganisationID) and a colum specifying the role (Column "TYPE", values: COLLAB_ORG, PP_ORG). The ultimate goal is to know the average number of organisations per Type. I used the following measures (different formulas to test results):

Number Coll Org: 

CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('projects-all'[Organisationid]),'projects-all'[Type]="COLLAB_ORG")
Number PP:
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('projects-all'[Organisationid]),'projects-all'[Type]="PP_ORG")
Number projects = DISTINCTCOUNT('projects-all'[projectid])
Av COLLAB_ORG = [Number Coll Org]/[Number projects]
Av PP = [Number PP]/[Number projects]

ProjectNumber Coll OrgNumber PPAv Coll OrgAv PP
0f2928928
ac139103910
f3a68 68 
83b52 52 
Total22518565

Problems:

- Total Coll Org and Total PP are not the sum of distintc organisationsID (type COLL_ORG or PP) for each project. The total should reflect the sum of distinct values for each project. I tried several formulas (SUMX, CALCULATETABLE, etc) but nothing. 

- Total Av Coll Org and Total Av PP. The totals (previous bullet point) should only divided by the number of projects that have total. For instance, Total Av Coll PP should be 8.5 ( (8+9)/2) instead of 4 ((8+9)/4). I tried AVERAGE, but couldn't make it work.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, so Total and Average are all not correct? Try this:

Number Coll Org=

COUNTROWS(GROUPBY(FILTER('projects-all','projects-all'[Type]="COLLAB_ORG"),'projects-all'[Organisationid],'projects-all'[projectid]))

Number PP=
COUNTROWS(GROUPBY(FILTER('projects-all','projects-all'[Type]="PP_ORG"),'projects-all'[Organisationid],'projects-all'[projectid]))

Av COLLAB_ORG =
VAR NumProject=COUNTROWS(GROUPBY(FILTER('projects-all','projects-all'[Type]="COLLAB_ORG"),'projects-all'[projectid]))
RETURN
DIVIDE([Number Coll Org],NumProject)

Av PP =
VAR NumProject=COUNTROWS(GROUPBY(FILTER('projects-all','projects-all'[Type]="PP_ORG"),'projects-all'[projectid]))
RETURN
DIVIDE([Number PP],NumProject)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I hope you're feeling fine.

I could manage to generate the average for a lot of dimensions. But, I couldn't find any DAX formula that couldn't help me with the challenge I have. 

Here's a link to an excel file of projects I want to analyse. As you can see, each has a number of research topics and research subjects. Each project could address the same topics though. I have a massive list of Research Topics and Subjects that any project (project table) could address. So now, my aim is to provide a list of Research Topics and Research Subjects that filtered projects don't address. Each table "Resarch Topic" and "Research Subject" provide a column for the name and another for the ID (provided in the excel file). Ideally, there should be a DAX formula that will compare the Research Topic/Subject ID from each project (first excel tab) against the list of IDs I have in tables "Research Topic" and "Research Subject", and return a list of Research Topics and Subjects that projects don't cover. Then, the PBI desktop should show a table with these results.

I hope the excel file works fine. The pbi file is 200mb and I don't know how to cut it down to only show what I just explained. I've also attached the data model. I know it might not look "efficient", but this is what I come up to avoid manytomany relatioships if I used "projects" table.

Thanks again so much for your help.

data model.png

sorry...the internet issue...I mean could you please show what you want? Use Excel to put some ideal result

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Vera, your message is in blank.

Thanks
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share a dataset and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, so Total and Average are all not correct? Try this:

Number Coll Org=

COUNTROWS(GROUPBY(FILTER('projects-all','projects-all'[Type]="COLLAB_ORG"),'projects-all'[Organisationid],'projects-all'[projectid]))

Number PP=
COUNTROWS(GROUPBY(FILTER('projects-all','projects-all'[Type]="PP_ORG"),'projects-all'[Organisationid],'projects-all'[projectid]))

Av COLLAB_ORG =
VAR NumProject=COUNTROWS(GROUPBY(FILTER('projects-all','projects-all'[Type]="COLLAB_ORG"),'projects-all'[projectid]))
RETURN
DIVIDE([Number Coll Org],NumProject)

Av PP =
VAR NumProject=COUNTROWS(GROUPBY(FILTER('projects-all','projects-all'[Type]="PP_ORG"),'projects-all'[projectid]))
RETURN
DIVIDE([Number PP],NumProject)

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

Thanks for this! It did work for the first three measures. However, when I entered the formula for Av PP, Av Coll Org gave an error: 

av coll org error.png

Can you show some rows of your dataset (randomly generated data is ok, just keep the columns)? I made up some rows and all measures were working...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi both,

I just rebooted the computer and now all measures are working. Thanks for the help!

In the following days I will be creating more Av measures...  so I hope that what I learnt with your help could be replicated for these.

Best.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Refer:

sumx(summarize('projects-all','projects-all'[project Id],"_dis",[Number PP]),[_dis])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I think that DAX is missing brackets? What Dis means? (it is not recognise).

Is this measure for the averages or for the totals?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.