Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Krexx
Helper I
Helper I

Distinct Count values for the whole time period not for each month

I would like to display the amount of productnumbers per month for two different status (In Order, Ordered) based on slicer time period.

For this i have created an measure where i want to display the amount of productnumber per month. I am using following measure: 

ProductCount = 
VAR EndDate = max(DATUM[Orderdate])
Var Startdate = min(DATUM[Orderdate])
VAR FilterDate = DATE(YEAR(Startdate),MONTH(Startdate)-6, DAY(Startdate))
VAR Result = 
    CALCULATE(
        DISTINCTCOUNT('Order_Version'[Productnumber]),
        FILTER(
            'Order_Version',
            'Order_Version'[Orderdate] >= FilterDate&& 'Order_Version'[Orderdate] <= EndDate && 'Order_Version'[Status] = "In Order" || 
            'Order_Version'[Orderdate] >= Startdate && 'Order_Version'[Orderdate] <= EndDate && 'Order_Version'[Status] = "Ordered"))
Return
Result

When i am using this measure in a barchart, it uses this measure for each month seperately, but i would like to count distinct based on the whole time period.

So for example if productnumber "111AAA2-X" with Status "In Order" is available on

19th June 2019
20th October 2019
01st January 2020

Then it should only count this Productnumber in June 2019. With the actual measure it displays the productnumber "111AAA2-X" in each of these 3 months.

Here is an example of my table: 

106000-N        In Order       20.03.2019
106000-N        In Order25.06.2019
106000-N        In Order27.09.2019
106000-N        Ordered08.02.2019
106000-N        Ordered08.04.2019
106122-N        In Order24.01.2019
106122-N        In Order28.02.2019
106122-N        Ordered08.02.2019
106124-N        In Order24.01.2019

106124-N        

In Order28.05.2019
106124-N        Ordered11.02.2019
106124-N        Ordered11.05.2019

In the table above only the bold once should be counted. I was trying to work with earlier function, but it doesn work in a measure. Does anyone knows how to solve it?

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krexx   ,

Do the suggestions from engineers make sense? If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

So what final result are you expecting.  Is it 6 in a card visual or do you want to see the 6 rows in a Table visual?  Please show the expected result very clearly.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

@dedelman_clng thanks for the hint. Unfortunately the results are the same.
@amitchandak your function doesnt work there are Syntax after the second CALCULATE Function
@Ashish_Mathur i will share a picture of what i expect:

ProductCount.PNG

For the Productnumber "158820-N" i would expect to be only counted in May 2020. But its counted also in June 2020. I want that the Distinct Count on Productnumber is based on the whole time period, but actualy the distinctcount function works based on each month.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Krexx , Assuming it across month have a measure like this in visual in place of date and try

Measure =
VAR __id = MAX ( 'Table'[productnumber] )
VAR __date = CALCULATE ( MIN( 'Table'[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ), 'Table'[productnumber ] = __id )
CALCULATE ( Min ( 'Table'[Date] ), VALUES ('Table'[productnumber ] ), 'Table'[productnumber ] = __id,'Table'[Date] = __date )

@amitchandak your measure works, my fault i forgot to set another variable for the final Calculation. Now i got the right min(date) for each Productnumber. Is there any way i can use this measure for my x-axis to display the months?

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krexx ,

A measure is unsupported to be used in Axis of chart, you may create a column like DAX below.

MinDate =
CALCULATE (
    MIN ( 'Table'[Date] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[productnumber ] )
)

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Krexx  - you have a logic error in your code.  The || (or) is not separating the two && (and) clauses.

Try 

ProductCount = 
VAR EndDate = max(DATUM[Orderdate])
Var Startdate = min(DATUM[Orderdate])
VAR FilterDate = DATE(YEAR(Startdate),MONTH(Startdate)-6, DAY(Startdate))
VAR Result = 
    CALCULATE(
        DISTINCTCOUNT('Order_Version'[Productnumber]),
        FILTER(
            'Order_Version',
            ('Order_Version'[Orderdate] >= FilterDate &&
               'Order_Version'[Orderdate] <= EndDate && 
                  'Order_Version'[Status] = "In Order" ) || 
            ( 'Order_Version'[Orderdate] >= Startdate && 
                  'Order_Version'[Orderdate] <= EndDate && 
                     'Order_Version'[Status] = "Ordered" )
        )
)
Return
Result

Hope this helps

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.