Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Distinct Count of Two Columns

Hi guys

How can I calculate a distinct count of two columns?

Measure:= DISTINCTCOUNT( [EmpID1] ) + DISTINCTCOUNT( [EmpID2] ) won't work because EmpID "123" could be present in both EmpID1 and EmpID2, i.e. it will double count it.

I'm looking for something like: Measure:= DISTINCTCOUNT( UNION( VALUES( [EmpID1] ), VALUES( [EmpID2] ) ) ).

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Simon_Nuss,

Currently I don’t think only using measure could achieve this.

In addition to concatenate those two columns, we could create a special column to mark the same value in those two columns.

Then use the two distinct value to minus the sum of the same value column, take use of your example here:

Create the calculated column with the following formula:

Samevalue = if(

LOOKUPVALUE( Table1[Gold], Table1[Gold], Table1[Sliver] ) <> BLANK(),

0)

Modify the count measure with the following:

Measure := DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Gold])+DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Sliver])-calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Sliver]), Table1[Samevalue]=1)

See the result:

1.PNG3.PNG

Hope this should be helpful.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous What you can do is create calculated column that concatenate values from two columns and then get distinct count from that calculated column.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ankitpatira Thanks for the quick response Ankitpatira.  That's close but not quite what I'm looking for.  Also, my data set is 1.1 billion rows - I cannot afford a calculated column.

Take the below example:

Gold MedalsSilver Medals
USAAustralia
USACanada
GermanySpain
GreeceUSA

The distinct count of Gold Medals is 3, Silver medals is 4.  However, I am looking for the distinct count of the population which in this case would be 6.  This can be done in SQL by performing a distinct count of the union of [Gold Medals] and [Silver Medals].  I'm chasing a DAX solution.

Thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon_Nuss,

Currently I don’t think only using measure could achieve this.

In addition to concatenate those two columns, we could create a special column to mark the same value in those two columns.

Then use the two distinct value to minus the sum of the same value column, take use of your example here:

Create the calculated column with the following formula:

Samevalue = if(

LOOKUPVALUE( Table1[Gold], Table1[Gold], Table1[Sliver] ) <> BLANK(),

0)

Modify the count measure with the following:

Measure := DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Gold])+DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Sliver])-calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[Sliver]), Table1[Samevalue]=1)

See the result:

1.PNG3.PNG

Hope this should be helpful.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Michel well - I'm seeing Marco Russo this evening so I know what I'll be asking him.  Thanks for your help mate!

Hi Simon_Nuss,

Do you need any further assistance on this topic?

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

No thanks, I actually forgot to ask Marco - oh well!  I'll revisit it in a few weeks and try to think of an elegant solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.