Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kressb
Helper V
Helper V

Distinct Count by Date

Hello,

I am trying to do a distinct count by date.

Ex: When the Slicer is set to "July 2020", I want it to show 10 and count Account ID 1 once for 7/1/20 and Account ID 1 again for 7/2/20. Right now, it shows 9 instead of 10:

Service DateAccount IDSlicer on DayDesired Result: Slicer on Month (July)
7/1/20201510
7/1/20202
7/1/20203
7/1/20204
7/1/20205
7/2/202015
7/2/20206
7/2/20207
7/2/20208
7/2/20209

I am trying:

Measure = Calculate(DistinctCount(Table[UniqueID]), Filter(Table,Table[Date]=Earlier(Table,Table[Date]))

It says "The second argument of function EARLIER must be an integer greater than zero."

I have made sure the Date field is formated as a Date in the Data Table.

It's linked to a Key and a DateDimension Table like so:

Relationship.png
*Disclaimer: I understand the preference is for data files to be posted. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to do that. Completely understand if you chose not to respond because of the lack of files. I am terribly sorry I cannot post files. Any ideas - even a link or somewhere to start is appreciated. TYIA.
**Edit for clarity: Distinct Count needs to be on Service Date; but table is connected to the Date Dimension and Filter is based on a different column - Post Date.

4 REPLIES 4
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kressb ,

Here's my sample data.

6.png

DISTINCTCOUNT counts the number of distinct values in a column. If you want to get 10, use COUNT.

Monthcount =
IF (
    MAX ( 'Table'[Account ID] ) = 1,
    CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( 'Table'[Account ID] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Date] )
    )
)
Daycount = 
VAR _sele =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Date].[Month] )
VAR _minD =
    MINX ( FILTER ( ALL ( 'Table' ), [Date].[Month] = _sele ), [Date] )
RETURN
    IF (
        MAX ( 'Table'[Account ID] ) = 1
            && MAX ( 'Table'[Date] ) = _minD,
        CALCULATE (
            COUNT ( 'Table'[Account ID] ),
            ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Date].[Month] )
        )
    )

7.png

You can check more details from here.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The issue is the Distinct Count needs done based on one date (Service Date) and the Filter/Slicer and all other data is done based on another date (Post Date). This cannot be changed.
I think I need a calculated column that counts as a "1" distinct account IDs by the Service Date.. and for repeating lines counts as "0".
Then I can roll up by the existing filter (on Post Date).
Any idea on an equation I could use that uses the Service Date as a criteria to achieve a distinct count?

Hi @kressb ,

Calculated columns will not be affected by slicers or filters. You can only use measures instead.

You can use SELECTEDVALUE function to use another date column B to filter date column A.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Instead of EARLIER() use variables. Construct your measure step by step and validate the intermediate result with CONCATENATEX()

- get slicer value

- get all VALUES() of account IDs, filter as needed

- get row count

- return result

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.