Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

QLD_Jay
Frequent Visitor

Displaying upgrade costs based on multiple factors

Hi all,

I'm struggling with something that I feel should be fairly straight forward and am seeking some advice.

I'm currently working on a dashboard to assist with the decision making behind the upgrade of devices across multiple locations and the associated costs.

I have 3 tables (amongst others) containing,

1. locations and their Devices (some to be upgraded some not)

2. locations that have a Module (some locations may need their device upgraded but can carry on using the existing Module)

3. the $ value of the New Device and Module (as a static table of values) 

So something like (please excuse my crappy html tables),

Devices

LocationDeviceUpgrade
Loc1t8001
Loc2t8001
Loc3t10000

With a 1..1 relationship with

Modules

LocationModule
Loc1Model1
Loc3Model1

Upgrade costs

New DeviceCostGSTCost incl GST
T100050050550
Model110010110

My aim is to chuck a matrix or table on a page that will display the number of devices that need to be upgraded and total costs based on other parameters the user has set eg. limiting the range of locations being looked at. The costs need to take account of those locations where a new device is required but a Module is not.

Should I create a calculated column in Devices that checks to see if a location is also in Modules? Maybe a calculated column in Devices that's filled with the cost from Upgrade Costs if Upgrade evaluates to true?

I'm really struggling to produce something functional and would love a bit of advice here. All suggestions welcome!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
QLD_Jay
Frequent Visitor

After some screwing around I ended up creating two calculated columns in Devices that returned 0 or 1 based whether or not the device needed an upgrade and had a Module. Then I created a column with a nested if statement that looks something like this.

UpgradeCost = IF( AND(Devices[UpgradeReqd]=1, Devices[HasModule]=0 ), 660,

IF( AND(Devices[UpgradeReqd] = 1, Devices[HasModule] = 1 ), 550,

IF( AND(Devices[UpgradeReqd] = 0, Devices[HasModule]=0 ), 110, 0

)

)

)

Eliminates the need for the Upgrade Costs table but now everything is hard coded.

Fortunately the numbers won't change for sometime.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
QLD_Jay
Frequent Visitor

After some screwing around I ended up creating two calculated columns in Devices that returned 0 or 1 based whether or not the device needed an upgrade and had a Module. Then I created a column with a nested if statement that looks something like this.

UpgradeCost = IF( AND(Devices[UpgradeReqd]=1, Devices[HasModule]=0 ), 660,

IF( AND(Devices[UpgradeReqd] = 1, Devices[HasModule] = 1 ), 550,

IF( AND(Devices[UpgradeReqd] = 0, Devices[HasModule]=0 ), 110, 0

)

)

)

Eliminates the need for the Upgrade Costs table but now everything is hard coded.

Fortunately the numbers won't change for sometime.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.