Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

robertsbm
Frequent Visitor

Displaying the difference between two visuals into a third visual

Hi all!

I'm trying this again and will provide better detail. I simplified my data model and will expain with screenshots. The purpose of the report is to query several different databases and list the software versions installed on each one. Each database connection is populated with the same SQL query (but I manually added a column to each one with the server's name). The data sources have been appended into one large merged table. I created dims to make filtering easier, but it may not be helping.

From the report level, the filtering hierarchy looks like this: Environment1 / Environment2 -> App Name -> App Version -> Ruleset Name -> Ruleset Version.

The idea is to pick two servers from the slicers, display the results in their respective visuals, and displaying the differences between the two visuals into the third visual. How is this achievable?

Data Model:

image.png

Report:

image.png

In the report screenshot above,the left side with a shaded box are filters and the three tables to the right are populated like this: The first table is from the Source filter, second table is from the Target filter, and finally the third table is where I want to display the rows that exist in Table 1 but not Table 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi robertsbm,

You can use Not In expression in DAX. Please refer to: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/the-in-operator-in-dax/.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thanks for the reply. I wrote up something like this but it's not working correctly. Tables "SOURCE DATA" and "TARGET DATA" contain the same data, the only difference is the applied Environment filter. How can I ensure that both filters for source and target environemnts are applied? Is this the correct approach?

Column = IF(NOT('SOURCE DATA'[Application Name] IN VALUES('TARGET DATA'[Application Name]))
                     && NOT('SOURCE DATA'[Application Version] IN VALUES('TARGET DATA'[Application Version]))
                     && NOT('SOURCE DATA'[Ruleset Name] IN VALUES('TARGET DATA'[Ruleset Name]))
                     && NOT('SOURCE DATA'[Ruleset Version] IN VALUES('TARGET DATA'[Ruleset Version])),
                    'SOURCE DATA'[Ruleset Version],"Exists")

robertsbm
Frequent Visitor

Hi all!

I'm trying this again and will provide better detail. I simplified my data model and will expain with screenshots. The purpose of the report is to query several different databases and list the software versions installed on each one. Each database connection is populated with the same SQL query (but I manually added a column to each one with the server's name). The data sources have been appended into one large merged table. I created dims to make filtering easier, but it may not be helping.

From the report level, the filtering hierarchy looks like this: Environment1 / Environment2 -> App Name -> App Version -> Ruleset Name -> Ruleset Version.

The idea is to pick two servers from the slicers, display the results in their respective visuals, and displaying the differences between the two visuals into the third visual. How is this achievable?

Data Model:

image.png

Report:

image.png

In the report screenshot above,the left side with a shaded box are filters and the three tables to the right are populated like this: The first table is from the Source filter, second table is from the Target filter, and finally the third table is where I want to display the rows that exist in Table 1 but not Table 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.