Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hlg551
Regular Visitor

Displaying text in a measure/matrix

I have a matrix as a sort of summary table for multiple companies where I am showing various key figures for them. I am using SWITCH as my column headers and then I am using various CALCULATION function to calculate these key figures.

However my problem is that I want to show the category that these companies are in, which is a column in my data. I have not been able to figure out how to do this in a measure. The closest I got was with SELECTEDVALUE and filtering with the specific category. That way the correct category was displayed in the matrix but I would like to do this for all categories without filters.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @hlg551 ,

In the category banch of Companyoverview measure, use the following measure:

LOOKUPVALUE(Category[CategoryName],Category[CategoryID],MAX(Companies[CategoryID]))

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
hlg551
Regular Visitor

@v-deddai1-msft @amitchandak 
I'll try to explain my problem better.

I have a matrix where I am showing information about various companies. The companies are in the rows and the columns is a SWITCH sentence where I calculate various things I want to show. What I am having problem with is displaying the category of each company. I need to find a function that allows me to display a string in a measure, similar to SELECTEDVALUE but I don't want to have to filter for a specific category I want to show all of them at the same time.

I tried to create a sample for what I am trying to do.
This is what I want it to look like:

hlg551_0-1620652637285.png

This is my measure:

hlg551_1-1620652700610.png

My tables are connected through IDs:

hlg551_2-1620652755430.png

hlg551_4-1620652778561.png

hlg551_5-1620652789764.png

So I want to display the Category name for every company in my matrix. 

My sample example is very simple but my real measure has a lot of information in it so I need to be able to use a matrix, not a table. 

I hope this explains it better, any help would be appriciated 🙂 

Hi @hlg551 ,

In the category banch of Companyoverview measure, use the following measure:

LOOKUPVALUE(Category[CategoryName],Category[CategoryID],MAX(Companies[CategoryID]))

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@hlg551 ,Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

I want to display the category the companies fall under in the category column in my matrix. 

I created very simple sample pbix file for what it is I'm trying to do to share, however when I try to attach it says that the file type (.pbix) is not supported, do you know how to get around that?

Hi @hlg551 ,

You can't attach it directly. You can share your sample pbix by shared drive and share us the download link.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.