Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TomBLG
Helper I
Helper I

Displaying single graph based off 2 sets of bookmarks

Hello everyone,

I have 9 graphs which are the combination of hourly, daily and weekly grouped data for 3 different insights (left-most buttons). WIP.JPG

To clarify, I can't remove the Hourly/Daily/Weekly buttons and rely on the drilldown functionality as most of my fields are  performance formulas made in SQL which would give inaccurate reading if I were to say, average 168(number of hours in a week) hourly values for the weekly value.

Initially all I had were the top-right buttons and as such, I could just set bookmark actions on them with the appropriate combination of shown/hidden graphs. However now instead of 3 graphs, I need 9. If I understand bookmarks correctly, what I need can't be done this way as each bookmark is tied to a single snapshot with my shown/hidden graphs.

Only one graph should be visible at a time depending on what's selected in each of the 2 sets of buttons.

That said, I'm hoping there's some neat workaround with bookmarks I haven't tried or even some other solution that results in displaying a graph out of 9 based on 2 selections.

Unfortunately I'm unable to provide the pbix file, I understand this limits the assistance you can give me, but I hope it's not necessary in this case as I can work of an idea if need be.

Thank you so much for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @TomBLG ,

Using bookmarks you would need to create the 9 bookmarks has you are refering but also 12 buttons and then associate them with the different bookmarks.

In this case you would have the following buttons:

• Hourly
    • Site Mains water consuption
    • Process water consuption
    • Process waste Water
  • Daily
    • Process waste Water
  • Weekly
    • Process waste Water

Then you need to hide the buttons accordingly to your selection so if you select the hourly you would show the 3 buttons of the comsuption/process assocated with the Hourly, and similar to the other time periods, then you just need to select what is the default value you would present when you select the "main" button and you a bookmark that would be selected on the Hourly selection but also on the (Hourly)Site Mains water consuption for example.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @TomBLG ,

Using bookmarks you would need to create the 9 bookmarks has you are refering but also 12 buttons and then associate them with the different bookmarks.

In this case you would have the following buttons:

• Hourly
    • Process waste Water
  • Daily
    • Process waste Water
  • Weekly
    • Process waste Water

Then you need to hide the buttons accordingly to your selection so if you select the hourly you would show the 3 buttons of the comsuption/process assocated with the Hourly, and similar to the other time periods, then you just need to select what is the default value you would present when you select the "main" button and you a bookmark that would be selected on the Hourly selection but also on the (Hourly)Site Mains water consuption for example.

Regards

Miguel Félix

I think this is it MFelix. It's been a long day, it completely went over my head the fact that I can hide buttons too and not just graphs. I'll give this a go tomorrow morning and either accept it as solution or reply back.

If you need any assistance please tell me.

Regards

Miguel Félix

That did the trick indeed. Decided to go the other way around, have the graph-type buttons generate the periodicity buttons, just need to tidy things up, group some bookmarks and order my selections in a more logical manner. Might add a few green-colored action-less buttons to indicate which selection is active as well.

FIXED.JPGThanks again for all the help.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You could keep the Hourly/Daily/Weekly as bookmarks (with the corresponding 3 visuals) but make the other a parameter that effectively switches between measures.

Basically, you define a new table with the three options to be chosen as a new parameter table (no relationships with other tables). You then use the column from that table to create a chiclet slicer where you can select which option to use via a switching measure similar to this:

VariableMeasure =
VAR MetricParameter = SELECTEDVALUE ( Param[Metric] )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        MetricParameter,
        "Site Mains Water Consumption", [Site Main Water Consumption],
        "Process Water Consumption", [Process Water Consumption],
        "Process Waste Water", [Process Waste Water]
    )

Hi Alexis,

These names such as "Site Mains Water Consumption" aren't fields, but graph titles, so I don't think this will do the trick. That one in particular is for a graph using 7 different fields, some as stacked area, others are lines. For the daily/weekly version it uses stacked columns instead of stacked area and the x-axis is also different.

I do have something extremely similar to what you sent me but that's on an unpivoted dataset where I get my fields (Attributes) from a slicer. In this case I have a switch measure like that one to pick the slicer values from my 3 switch options which tie to 3 tables (Hourly, Daily and Weekly) with exactly the same field names.  For that it works great.

Yes, it's an oversimplification since I have no way of seeing what your fields actually are. It sounds like you'd need several switching measures to do this since you have several different measures showing at one time. I think what I'm suggesting would still work but hard to explain without knowing what measures you use under which selections.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.