Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Displaying rows with a duplicate same-column value

Hey all,

Relatively new to PBID, and unfamiliar with backend DAX queries. I'm probably overlooking something, as it seems this should be simple.

I have a table structured as below:

Row     Owner          Oppty     UniqueID    etc.

1          Person A       MSFT      1

2          Person B       AAPL       2

3          Person C      GOOG      3

4          Person D      AMZN      1

etc.

All I want to do is display all rows with duplicate UniqueIDs, e.g. rows 1 and 4, and filter out everything else. As far as I can tell, there's no built-in "Show items when the value: is duplicate" filter (though it'd be nice if there was). All the solved questions I've found have dealt with either filtering out the duplicates, or highlighting duplicates between two different columns.

Should be simple. Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

You can use powerquery for such tasks. To identify all the rows with duplicate unique IDs,

You should perform these steps in order,

1. In PowerQuery Mode, Perform Group by operatio. This is under the Transform Tab. 

In Group By, Follow the steps shown in screen shot.Group ByGroup ByFilter out all the records in duplicate records column with Value 1Filter out all the records in duplicate records column with Value 1Expand the Oppty column by clicking on the two sided arrowsExpand the Oppty column by clicking on the two sided arrowsRemove duplicate records and unique IDs column and rename the headersRemove duplicate records and unique IDs column and rename the headers

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

BV displays doing it in 4 steps of Query Editor.  Another approach is 4 steps of New filtered tables - in the example below each table is named: UniqueID1 thru UniqueID4

UniqueID1 is your starting table

UniqueID2 = GROUPBY(UniqueID1,
                                          UniqueID1[ID],
                                                 "DupeCount",COUNTX(CURRENTGROUP(),UniqueID1[ID]))

UniqueID3 = FILTER(UniqueID2,UniqueID2[DupeCount]>1)

at this point you then must create a join line between UniqueID1.ID and UniqueID3.ID fields

UniqueID4 = FILTER(UniqueID1,UniqueID1[ID]=RELATED(UniqueID3[UniqueID1_ID]))

UniqueID4 is your final table with the results you seek

Should be simple!! but is not........

www.CahabaData.com

hi, 

the subject is old:)

I want to delete duplicate rows but keep one rows each time .t 

for example i have the left table and i want the right table. is it possible?

unic idtime unic idtime 
 1220 1220 
 1315 1315 
 1414 1410 

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

You can use powerquery for such tasks. To identify all the rows with duplicate unique IDs,

You should perform these steps in order,

1. In PowerQuery Mode, Perform Group by operatio. This is under the Transform Tab. 

In Group By, Follow the steps shown in screen shot.Group ByGroup ByFilter out all the records in duplicate records column with Value 1Filter out all the records in duplicate records column with Value 1Expand the Oppty column by clicking on the two sided arrowsExpand the Oppty column by clicking on the two sided arrowsRemove duplicate records and unique IDs column and rename the headersRemove duplicate records and unique IDs column and rename the headers

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Brilliant!  Straight forward, easy solution to walk through and it worked like a champ.  Now I've just got to figure out why I'm getting duplicate records from a customer master table that was previously not giving me duplicates.   Until I figure it out I'll just remove the duplicates and move forward.

Many thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.