Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Abhaykumar
Employee
Employee

Displaying integer data with events marked on a timeline

I have data like the following table:

2016-04-25 16_41_18-Yi_LowPowerStatePowerPlanIncluded.xlsx  [Read-Only] - Excel.jpg

I want to display the increasing data values by showing the difference on a Waterfall chart across x-axis time. I also want the graph to indicate the events at the proper times when they have occured. Is this possible in PowerBI? Please help if it can be done. I can't seem to find any chart type in PowerBI desktop that supports this.

5 REPLIES 5
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

How about this set up? Its a bit different but... Why do you have separate rows for the Events?

Waterfall Chart.png

Thanks Sean for replying. I have come up with the same solution but it does not look neat (its kinda a hack). Is there any way to overlay two types of data on a single chart with common x-axis? Also, if you notice the total is wrong since it takes dummy event data into account. Is it possible to remove the total at the end from the chart?

@Abhaykumar wrote:

Is there any way to overlay two types of data on a single chart with common x-axis? ?

@Abhaykumar

There seems no straightforward way to do this, as a trick, you can create a new column and merge the time and eventype into one.
By the way, the data in Sean's demo looks more normalized. Enable/Disable the total sounds reasonable, we will report this internally and you can also vote for this idea.
Capture.PNG

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you post an example of what you expect the result to look like?

I agree about the Total - I wish there was an On/Off switch for it.

In the example chart that you have posted, in place of the red bars (denoting decreasing value), it would be great if there is a marker like a vertical line or even a dot with the label of event name.This would clearly depict there was an event at this time and distinguish this from other data points represented as bars.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.