Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CYParker
Advocate II
Advocate II

Displaying data with 1 to many relationship in a dashboard or report

Hi All,

I'm a new Power BI user with a problem I've been trying to solve for a couple of weeks to no avail so am coming here for assistance!

Here are some dot points of the current situation:

• I'm trying to create a report based on data from our Dyn 365 CRM
  • Our key entity (Entity 1) has many different entities (Entity 2, Entity 3, Entity 4 etc) associated with it, with each 'Entity 1' generally having many Entity 2's or 3's etc. (Many to 1 relationship)
  • I've combined 5 datasets into 1 (Entities 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5) using the append functionality
    • Each entity has a id field which is relatable to an id field in entity 1
    • there are only 1 or two fields from each entity which I would like to display in a visual table
  • I'm trying to display this data in a neat table (in a report) but can't figure a way to do this
  • Using the table visual, it displays like this: 
    • Before.jpgbut I would like something like this:
    • After (Concept).jpg

• I've tried using the Matrix visual but it proves a bit difficult due to the seemingly clumsy way the horizontal scrolling works
  • Also tried manipulating the data table playing around the pivot settings (as described here) but it didnt seem to work the way I would have liked it
    • maybe because I'm trying to work with many different entities that link to entity 1
  • My next thought was to combine multiple cells into one (E.g. find all field X's from entity 2 that relate to entity 1 and merge into one cell; similiary with other entities) but I can't work out how to do this

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
PBI_User_248

This is exactly the problem I am trying to solve now. Were you able to find a solution?

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CYParker ,

If you'd like to group the table based on the category in entity 1, please right click the column and try "new group“.

If you'd like to combine 2 columns into one, please try the DAX : CONCATENATE([code1],[code2])

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft 

Regarding Grouping

I can see the benifit of this in some scenarios, but in this case it doesn't acheive the same affect as what I was looking for (unless I'm not using it properly). 

I've tried using a Matrix visual which does display the data how I would like, but the restrictive horizonal scrolling was a problem.

Regarding Concantenate

I'd really like to merge rows as opposed to columns.

For example, John Smith (in entity 1) has 3 different Entity 2 records associated. I'd like to combine that data (relating to John Smith) from entity 2 into one cell (as opposed to three).... I have a feeling that there is a DAX function to do this but am not sure how to do it 😕

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CYParker ,

Could you please share me your dummy pbix? (make sure the confidential info been removed before), it would be helpful for us to perform the reults.

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi  ,

Thanks for responding to my query.

Hopefully you can access the dummy pbix here

CYParker
Advocate II
Advocate II

Also worth noting is that while it doesnt look so bad now with there only being one extra entity (Entity 1 + Entity 2) there will be another 3 entities worth of data I'd like displayed in the visual alongside this data, so as it is, the data can look very messy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.