Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lee_
Frequent Visitor

Displaying customer population over time

Hi,

I am new to Power BI and the forums, so apologies if this has been answered but I wasn't sure how to frame the question, and couldn't find anything in search.

Say I have a table:

CustomerID |    In                            |    Out

xxxxxx          | 2018-04-06 11:02:00 | 2018-04-06 11:16:00

Where In and Out are the time they entered and left the store.

With this, how can I create a line chart for a period of time where it displays the number of customers in the store across, say, 15 minute intervals (that is, the X axis would be 2018-04-06 09:00:00, 2018-04-06 09:15:00 ...., and the Y value would be the number of customers in the store at that interval)

Thanks for any advice.

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lee_,

Based on my test, you can refer to below steps:

1.I have entered some sample data to test for your problem in below picture and I have created a new table to record the time period.

1.PNG

2.PNG

Create a new measure to calculate your customer amount in different period.

Amount of customer = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[CustomerID]),FILTER('Sheet1','Sheet1'[In]>=MAX('Sheet2'[Time]) &&  'Sheet1'[Out]<=MAX('Sheet2'[Time+15])))

3.Create a Line chart visual and add the [Amount of customer] and [Time] field. Now you can see the result.

3.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmxbwhjihin9m40/Displaying%20customer%20population%20over%20time.pbix?dl=0

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the response Daniel,

Unfortunately I don't think this is going to work for my instance where there are 100K+ visits over the course of the year. The chart takes an exceedingly long time to generate.

I tried a different way, creating a table, Times, with a column of 15-minute intervals using:

Time = GENERATESERIES(Date(2017,7,11), DATE(2018,7,1), (1/1440)*15)

and then on that table adding a column

In Store = SUMX(Customers, IF(AND(Customers[In]<=Times[Time], Customers[Out]>Times[Time]),1,0))

Although the extra column took a long time to calculate, the chart was a bit more fluid. Unfortunately, this solution means that I am unable to drill down/slice against other Customer parameters (gender, age, etc).

I suspect I am going to have to re-evaluate my underlying model. But is there a more efficient/dynamic way of doing this in Power BI?

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.