Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DQuigg
Advocate III
Advocate III

Displaying county shapes in Power BI

We are an ISV and have tons of county and zip code data.  The shape maps in Bing are wholly inaccurate even with plugging in the latitude and longitude. I can go with simple point maps using latitude and longitude but it is a completely underwhelming user experience.  Plugging in latitude and longitude in Bing does help accuracy, but still not 100% accurate.  I also have the FIPS code which sadly Power BI does not recognize either through the Bing map service or ARCGIS.  I really can't use ARCGIS either since it is not supported on the version of the API we are using and the paid service makes no sense for our solution (usage based). 

Is there any map solution that can display shapes within Power BI that is accurate down to county level or preferably uses FIPS codes.  Thank you!!! 

Dan

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DQuigg,

Have you try to use filled map visual? It support analysis shape based on latitude and longitude.

Reference:

Filled maps (choropleths) in Power BI (Tutorial)

Map visualizations

Tips and Tricks for Power BI Map visualizations

R script also a choice, but it seems not support drill feature.

>>Is there any map solution that can display shapes within Power BI that is accurate down to county level or preferably uses FIPS codes.

I'm not so sure how to let map visuals locate all places 100% accuracy, perhaps you can submit an idea to ideas forum.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I am finding major accuracy problems with using the solutions below at a county level.  I even used the examples for the choropeth and found the same issues in their sample data.  The maps and visualizations in Power BI have accuracy issues also because of the use of the name rather than the FIPS code.  

I will submit an idea.

I don't think any of those solutions go down to county level or have a county level option.  I have tried I think all of them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.